Thursday, June 14, 2012

summer soundtrack

Hi people! I know it's been awhile since anything normal went up on here - I just have so many other things going on that blogging has had to take a step back.

We just got back from swim team - swimming and coaching. Our pool is such a wonderful place to be, I just wish the weather was a little warmer. This winter was so warm that I was sure this summer was going to be blazing, but that hasn't been the case so far. So far, it's been cold, overcast, even rainy. Our little swimmers were turning purple at about 11 so we let them off a bit early...and the next practice we played dry-land games for twenty minutes before making them swim. During the last fifteen minutes, the sun came out and David (one of our wonderful crazy coaches) taught the little kids to sing "doo doo doo doo" after he sang "Here comes the SUN!" Anyyywayyy.

I thought today as a way of conversation, I'd share some of my favorite "summer songs" with you all and ask y'all what your favorites are. My Pandora stations get full-time use when I'm home during the summer, helping me either stay upbeat and cheerful, or moving me into a spirit of worship.

To start, we have good old Disney music. Disney *always* makes me think and feel summer. Especially The Lion King:

Because I first watched LOTR during the summer, "Concerning Hobbits" always makes me think of warm days, happiness, "God's-in-His-heaven-all's-right-with-the-world" and everything good. It also makes me feel choked up - but that's okay too.

And Ingrid Michaelson, who has that really unusual voice that for some reason I like:

And of course, HSM2 - which is, in fact, a summer movie itself:

Reggae for the win! Thanks, Dad :)

This song pretty much sums up my life right now, so I play it often to remind me where my heart should be during this season of my life:

Other favorite songs/frequent listening:
  • anything by JJ Heller - her voice just says "summer" :)
  • "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars (the most beautiful pop song of our generation, IMHO)
  • "Dynamite" - a swim team favorite :D
  • "Chicken Fried" by Zac Brown Band - 'cause country music cracks me up and just begs to be sung with the radio while kickboarding during practice 'cause Alex had his iPhone plugged into the speakers (not that I've ever done that before *sheepish grin*)
  • Casting Crowns, John Waller, Hillsong United, etc. - it's actually kinda interesting how so many CCM songs make me feel like they should only be sung outside in the middle of a warm summer day, arms outstreched, soaking everything in.
  • "I'm Only Me When I'm With You", "You Belong With Me", and "Mine" by Taylor Swift
  • "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts
  • and all my soundtracks, since they can be played all year round without ever getting old. :)
  • Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff, and the Merrymen - what can I say? It's my Cruzan blood.
...and the list goes on. What are some of your favorite songs to listen to during the summer?

3 comments:

  1. This soundtrack is just lovely. I thought you might like to know. ;) Not only that, but I listened to the whole thing.

    {{hugs}}
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh! I've heard that Chicken Fried song! It's hilarious and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer songs, where to start? Of course Taylor Swift, the Rascal Flatts, HSM, and Ingrid Michaelson. Plus just about anything else country. On a more worshipful note, I recently discovered Audrey Assad, and of course the standby Michael W. Smith, Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, etc.

    By the way, I don't know about you, but whenever I hear Dynamite I sing along, not the correct lyrics, but the Candlelight ones. :P

    ReplyDelete