Thursday, December 6, 2012

it is better to give.

So yesterday, I spent the afternoon brainstorming and shopping for gifts for my family. I've challenged myself to handmake all my gifts this year, so I stopped at JoAnn's, Michaels, Goodwill, Dollar Tree, and Barnes and Noble (put all those together :D).

As I shopped, there was definitely temptation. I mean, there are so many great sales, it would be so easy to get something for myself. (I'm not counting my Starbucks run in there *sheepish grin*). But I was convicted that I was falling prey to that greedy, selfish mentality that seems to run rampant this time of year. The list-making, stuff-wanting, never-satisfied, incredibly-human part of our nature. So I fought it. But to get rid of one thought, you really have to replace it with something else.

Some of you are probably familiar with the ministry of Reece's Rainbow. They are the voice for those who have no voice. They shout out and raise awareness for down syndrom and special-needs adoptions here and internationally. I've come to know more about this organization through friends from Black Box (you can read Ms Julia's blog here), and reading more about the children and the families and the stories, my eyes have been opened to whole new side of giving. And that thought that behind every picture is real child who needs real family. Ms Julia is hosting a giveaway right now for Reece's Rainbow's annual Angel Tree. By donating to a child's grant account, you're helping to get them one step closer to finding a forever family - life-changing and life-saving.

So yesterday, as I drove around Charlottesville, I told myself that when I got home, I would donate money I would normally spend on myself to get some of these beautiful children closer to getting over the $1000 wall on the Angel Tree. Some people can give more than others, depending on how the Lord has blessed or convicted them, but my little contribution has made me happier than any holiday sale item could.
Adele 36FAlexeiBobby (50)Sonny 9HA
                  Adele                             Alexei                         Bobby                             Sonny

It truly is better to give than to receive. May that be the overwhelming truth of this holiday season.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely money well spent!! Storing up treasures in heaven that will not be eventually donated to Goodwill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. {Ms Julia} - my thoughts exactly!

    ReplyDelete