Saturday, December 22, 2012

the hobbit: an unexpected journey

all pictures from pinterest.
Biblo.The Hobbit

We saw it. In the theaters. And let me just say, it was amazing and I recommend it to anyone who loves Middle Earth. Pete Jackson and Co truly love Tolkien's work, and you can see that love in every scene, every detail, every line and action in the LOTR movies, and now in The Hobbit.

I will try my best not to fangirl, not to rave, not to be over the top and redundant. I will refrain from posting a hundred pictures of Thorin and limit myself to ten…same for Fili and Kili. I will not quote the entire riddle scene for you, or gush too much about Gollum. But the temptation is there, I will warn you :D This will not be a post of spoilers, but I'm going tell you my favorite parts - most of which will probably not surprise you. *grin*

ThorinThorin Oakenshield. While not my favorite character from the book, he was definitely my favorite character in the movie. His character development was truly well done.

Because there wasn't really a time limit, we got to see Thorin's backstory. Gory and brutally sad, yes, but you feel so much sympathy for him. You understand why Balin (and the other dwarfs for that matter) would die for him. And it just shows what a stellar actor Richard Armitage is. With facial expressions, hand motions, way of walking and standing, tone of voice, all of it - definitely conveyed the spirit of Thorin.  I was concerned when I first heard the cast last back a year ago that Mr. Thornton playing a dwarf would be sacrilegious. Well, thankfully, I was wrong, and personally, I like the long hair and the two little braid-things. *grin* Anyway. I'm glad we get two more years of the guy, although I expect to cry over the last movie. 

Actually, all the dwarfs were very distinct in their personalities. While I still don't know them all on sight, it won't be hard to learn them between now and next year. In the book, I didn't really try to remember which dwarf was which (one of the reasons Pete Jackson made the movies and not me). But I really enjoyed each one in the film. I won't go into them all, since I've already said so much about Thorin, but here are pictures:


Balin
Balin

Bofur
Bofur

Ori
Ori

Bombur
Bombur

.
And Kili and Fili - because they were fantastic and kept us smiling.

I wish Aragorn had been at Rivendell - he would've been between 15 and 20 years old….maybe in the extended edition? *hopefully* And the only thing I really missed was seeing Sam…but of course he's not in The Hobbit at all. *sniffle*

BUT. There was Frodo. And I love how the story starts on the day LOTR starts and then goes into flashback for the rest. Same overalls, same book, same Frodo. I loved the movie from that moment on. Yes, I'm easy to please...
Frodo in the Hobbit <3 <3 <3

While we're on a hobbit note…meet Bilbo.
the contract :D
He was adorable. Charming. Classic. I believed 100% that Martin Freeman was Bilbo Baggins - not for a moment did I groan or think, "hmm." The hobbit hole, the feast with the dwarves, the clean up, the contract, chasing them, joining them, learning what it means to be brave, being selfless, and just being a good little hobbit. 
.
I was so glad they got him right. I let two little tears slide when he rejoined the dwarves after the goblins - it was such a wonderful hobbit moment. And Thorin was great there too. Just sayin'.

Gollum in The Hobbit
The riddle scene was hilarious. I didn't think Gollum could get any better than he was in Lord of the Rings, but once again, I was wrong. Aren't you glad? Blue eyes, more Smeagol than Gollum, I loved the start of the inner conflict. "We knows it, we knows it, precious - shut up!" That was such a fun scene. Out of all the actors in all the four Middle Earth films, I definitely say hats off to Andy Serkis for bringing Gollum to life. This character is a masterpiece of our time - the combination of animation and live action is stunning. 

I didn't like Lady Galadriel at all in Lord of the Rings - but her gentle encouragement and understanding towards Gandalf warmed me to her in An Unexpected Journey.
Lady Galadriel From 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' | The Playlist

There were some great Gandalf moments. He saved those dwarves more times than they cared to count, and this is only the first movie. *grin* His gentle handling of Radagast, his faith in Bilbo, and his support for Thorin - especially at Rivendell.
Gandalf

And for the record, I'll say that I didn't mind the plot-changes, and, being the delicate lady that I am….let's just say I didn't stare at the scene during the fights with various assorted Orcs, Goblins, wolf-things-whose-official-name-I-can't-recall, etc. But some of the stunts were pretty amazing. But what else would you expect?

The singing was wonderful. They kept the Cleaning Up The Kitchen song (now we have a tune, so we can sing it around the house! Yay!), and Thorin's haunting treasure song, and I chuckled happily during Gollum's Killing-The-Goblin song, since it was the same tune as his Killing-The-Fish song from TTT *grin* Anyway. Win, win, win.

So I say: go see it. If you're a Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, or Middle Earth fan, you will enjoy it. If you thought you liked Mr. Thornton, try Thorin. If you like hobbits in general, you will be happy as a cricket. And if you like action and fighting - go for it. Something for everyone!
[The Hobbit] Galadriel, Elrond, Gandalf & Saruman

As we were walking out of the theater (our first time in our brand-new, stunning Regal Cinema), I turned to Catherine and said, "So we really have to wait twelve months for the next bit?" Crazy. But considering I've been counting down till AUJ for over a year, time flew.

Quotes to enjoy:

Bilbo: Why don't we have a game of riddles and if I win, you show me the way out of here? 
Gollum: And if he loses? What then? Well if he loses precious then we eats it! If Baggins loses we eats it whole! 
Bilbo Baggins: Fair enough. 
...
Thorin Oakenshield: I would take each and every one of these dwarves over the mightiest army. 
...
Bilbo Baggins: I have... I have never used a sword in my life. 
Gandalf: And I hope you never have to. But if you do, remember this: true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.
...
Bilbo Baggins: [asking Gandalf about Radagast] Is he a very great wizard, or is he more like you? 
Balin: It's just the usual; summary about pocket expenses, time required, remuneration, funeral arrangements so forth. 
Bilbo: Funeral arrangements? 
[reads contract] 
Bilbo Baggins: Oh, up to but not exceeding one fourteenth total profit if any. Seems fair. Present company shall not be liable for injuries including but not limited to laceration, evisceration... incineration? 
Bofur: Oh, aye. He'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye. 
Balin: You all right, laddie? 
Bilbo: Yeah, I'll be. Feel a bit faint 
Bofur: Think furnace, with wings. 
Bilbo: Yeah, I-I-I need air 
Balin: Flash of light, searing pain, then poof, you're nothing more than a pile of ash. 
Bilbo: [long pause] No. 
[faints] 
Gollum: Is he lost? 
Bilbo Baggins: Yes, yes, and I want to get unlost... as soon as possible! 
Gollum: Oh! We knows! We knows safe paths for hobbitses! Safe paths in the dark... SHUT UP! 
Bilbo Baggins: I didn't say anything... 
Gollum: I wasn't talking to you! 

Just Elrond being gorgeous... EVERYONE is sexy in this trailer! (Not Gollum, though, he is just ugly as usual)... I can't number my crushes now... I am drooling for Bilbo, for Gandalf, for Elrond, for Kili, for Fili, for Thorin...  OMG, my heart...^.^

Happy Hobbiting!


4 comments:

  1. Ok, so remember how much I loved your Google+ post? Well, I loved this more. ^_^ And I'm sooooooo excited about all the RA fangirling all over the place, because I'm immature like that, and well, Richard Armitage. . .ok, ok, I'll stop. :P But I'm a little scared of the gory scenes you described. I've been asking a lot of people about them, and I truly don't know if I'll be able to handle it. o.O I'm just not a blood and guts kinda person, you know? Intensity doesn't bother me, but blood and guts. . .are a different story.

    Anyway, can't wait to see the movie! I wish I could go RIGHT NOW instead of having to wait until the new year. Aw well.

    ::hugs::

    ~ Mich

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . And now I want to see it that much more. It just looks too incredible for words. (And I haven't even seen the other LOTR movies *blushes*). I still don't know if we'll be seeing it in theaters or waiting until it comes out on DVD, but I don't think I could manage the latter. Bilbo, Frodo, Gandalf, Gollum (the Riddles in the Dark scene! *faints*) — they all look amazing. At the risk of sounding terribly immature, though, I must admit that Richard Armitage's portrayal of Thorin is one of the main reasons I'm excited about this film. ;) Like you, I considered it a bit sacrilegious to have the imposing Mr. Thorton cast as a dwarf . . . but all doubts have swiftly vanished from my mind. I thoroughly approve. :D

    Love ya,
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are no words to describe the awesomenes of this movie.
    I want to see it a hundred million times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great movie, but I didn't really like Thorin. I loved the Unexpected Party though, it was so well done. Not fond of the addition of Galadriel though, still, I can't wait for the next 1/3.

    -Josiah

    ReplyDelete