Tuesday, January 29, 2013

to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord.

"Forgive me for being so ordinary while claiming to know so extraordinary a God." - Jim Elliot
This restlessness in my heart - the desire to be content, conflicting with the desire to do something else. 
There is something to be said for be happy where you are, as I mentioned in a previous post, but there's something else to be said about settling for a life not lived to the fullest. I will never be truly content unless I am in God's will - even if that means difficult times ahead. And the pull on my heart to do more to serve the kingdom is not a sinful desire to get away from my current life, but more an urge of the Spirit to do MORE with the life I have been given. 
"The will of God is always a bigger thing than we bargain for, but we must believe that whatever it involves, it is good, acceptable and perfect." - Jim Elliot
My heart's desire may be a foreign mission field, but I've been given the mission field of Charlottesville, Virginia. Someday I may live in the jungle, or the desert, or a smoggy capital city, but today, right now, I am here. 

And there is work to be done here. 
"We are women, and my plea is Let me be a woman, holy through and through, asking for nothing but what God wants to give me, receiving with both hands and with all my heart whatever that is." - Elisabeth Elliot
I can be a missionary to my siblings, showing Christ's patience and love and grace to them every day. I can be missionary to my preschool students, teaching them basic Christian principles along with their colors and numbers. I can minister in my church, helping others worship through music, or serving in the kitchen or the nursery. I can be a missionary to my extended family - most of them still without the light of Christ in their life.
"If Jesus Christ be God and died for me, then no sacrifice can be too great for me to make for Him." - C.T. Studd
There is something to be said for being a missionary out of the country. It is our responsibility as Christ's body here on earth to spread the good news of His Gospel to the ends of the earth. And I pray every day that I can be part of that when the time is right. 
But if I sit around and wait, thinking that THAT is the only type of mission work a Christian can do, then I will miss out on the opportunities to share that here on my front door step.

Oh, Lord, open my eyes and my heart!

"I have one desire now - to live a life of reckless abandon for the Lord, putting all my energy and strength into it." - Elisabeth Elliot
pictures from old post // october 8, 2010. 

5 comments:

  1. This post is so awesome! Very encouraging. I've been feeling almost the exact same way!
    Keep serving God!! Charity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liza! This is exactly what I've been being taught lately. I hope I learn quickly, 'cause the moments are passing. Thank you for the reminder. God bless!
    ~ The 14th-Assistant Kitchen Maid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly love this post, Liza. 'Tis beautiful, and really, I believe what God wants for me at this time of my life as well... I just love all those quotes by Jim and Elizabeth Elliot and C.T.Studd. Thank you so much for sharing, dear sister, and continue living a life of reckless abandon for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT post, Liza! and singularly fitting because this is what I've been feeling in my own life these past several months. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this...is *just* what I needed to hear today. don't you love it when God does that? : )

    k

    ReplyDelete