Friday, March 29, 2013

faces // meet abby

actors and actresses don't just *appear* on broadway - they have to have the vision first, then work to get there. they have to start somewhere…and for many, that means in school or community theatre or an acting academy. these folks are actors too, and since I myself fall under the category of "community theatre actress", they are near and dear to my heart.

I've never met Abby personally, but she and I have been online friends for quite a few months now, and she's awesome fun and uber talented. It's my pleasure to introduce this future star to y'all!

meet abby peek.
highschooler. actress.

To start, introduce yourself to us! Who are you and what do you do?
Hello, I'm Abby Peek and I am an actress! I study drama at The Culture House Academy Of The Performing Arts.

How did you get started in theatre?
When I was really little I used to love Annie and it was always a dream of mine to play Annie. My mom signed me up for some acting classes, but when I got there I was really scared. I cried during a small in-class practice audition and went and sat on the stairs. For some reason I never gave up though. I kept going back even though I was scared. Eventually my stage fright got the best of me and I took a 2 year break from acting. When auditions for Seussical came around I decided that I wanted to audition. Unfortunately I didn't get cast, but that didn't stop me. I auditioned for Sleeping Beauty next  and got cast as a pixie in the ensemble. Ever since then I've been doing theatre!

What are some of your favorites of the roles and shows you've been in to date?
This is a hard question! Personally, I love all of the shows I've been in, but here are some of my favorites! I loved playing Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, Margot Frank in The Diary of Anne Frank, and I'm currently loving playing Peppermint Patty in Snoopy! I think my all-time favorite show i've been in though is Godspell. There's something about that show that just gives me chills thinking about it. I really felt a huge connection with my cast and God during that show.

What are your dream roles?
My two dream roles are Katherine in Newises and Eponine in Les Miserables!

You have a very distinctive voice! Is that something you've tried for?
I definitely do have more of a belting voice than an operatic voice which is a blessing and a curse in musical theatre. Its definitely something I've worked on. Two years ago I definitely didn't have the singing abilities that I have now.

Who are your role models/heroes?
My role models are Bethany Hamilton (surfer) and Clay Thomson (actor). Clay is definitely an inspiration of mine. He's so kind hearted and caring. He's worked really hard to achieve his dreams and I really admire that. He's not that much older than me, but I really do look up to him. I hope  that if I'm on Broadway someday I can be as caring and thoughtful to my fans as he is to his. As far as I can tell he's a really genuinely good person.

How many productions have you been a part of?
I've performed in 26 productions! I've been on the technical side of 3 productions! I've assistant directed one, stage-managed one, and run spotlight for one!

Do you enjoy working behind-the-scenes as well as on stage?
I do enjoy working behind-the-scenes, but I prefer performing. I feel like unless you've worked behind-the-scenes you don't really appreciate all the work that goes into the show as much.

What do you do in your free time?
In my free time I take lots of acting and singing lessons. I enjoy modeling and photography also.

Guilty pleasures? Hobbies?
I love peanut butter and taking pictures. I love making videos and posting them on youtube!

You've gone to New York City quite a few times - do you have a favorite moment or experience from one your visits?
I have SO many great stories to share about my trips to New York. A good story to share is probably my birthday at Newsies! I saw Newsies again on my birthday, since it was my birthday I had front row-center seats! The ENTIRE show I was smiling; I was so happy  to be there! During intermission I got to go into this special room and apparently thats the room where they keep all of the understudy costumes! There were lots of pictures on the wall also! During curtain call when Andy Richardson came out he looked at me with this huge smile on his face and waved at me! Throughout the remainder of curtain call he was waving and making silly faces at me. I think the best part of this night was what happened at the stage door! The cast greeted me by name and everyone told me happy birthday when they came around to see me! I remember when Andy saw me, he did this skippy-hoppy-walk thing over to me. I remember the conversations I had with everyone so well! I got lots of birthday wishes and LOTS of hugs! They made my birthday so special:)

Have you ever gotten to meet one of your heroes/heroines?
I have not met any of of my role models, but I'm hoping to meet Clay next time I'm in NYC!

Do you have dreams or goals for the future?
My dream is to be on Broadway one day, then all of my dreams will have come true!

A quote that inspires you:
“Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.”

Anything else you'd like to share with us?
"You are enough, you are so enough, it is unbelievable how enough you are."


Thanks so much for your time, Abby...someday, when you're famous, I'll say, "And I KNEW from when she was only fifteen that she was going to be a star" and then this interview will be classic history. *grin* You're awesome, girl! And someday we'll meet in person...maybe in NYC. You never know....

*hugs*

0 little note(s):

Post a Comment