Friday, June 7, 2013

what happened?

I just spent about thirty minutes reading through my old blog archives - cracking myself up at the hilarious posts and stories, enjoying pictures of my oh-so-little siblings, and remembering those golden blogging days. It's been nearly four years since I started on this humble little site, and it's changed drastically. Back in the day when having an elvish or narnian "blogging name" or pen name was normal and cool (Merriette, Eldarwen, Izori, Queen Lucy, Lucie, etc.), when I did quotes quizzes every month, averaged seven or eight comments per post, when we reviewed every movie or book we read, blogged everyday, spent hours poring over "cutest blog on the block" or "hot bliggity blog" to pick the *perfect* background, did every single one of those tags that worked their way through the system, and faithfully awarded our circle of friends when honored with one ourselves.


It's such a different blogging world now. My life was so different then. Now, I blog maybe once a week. No worries if even ten days go by without a post. Two years ago, I probably would've written an apologetic "sorry I've been gone so long" post to herald my return. Now, that's normal.

What happened?

Well, I guess we got older. Schedules are full, free time is spent on "grown up" activities. But that in itself doesn't bother me. What does is this:

My posts aren't half as lighthearted as they used to be. Not as many pictures of my life, not as many play-by-play updates, or candid moments. Everything is structured, or written like an article. What happened to your little Jo March, sharing her heart and the "Wild Blue Yonder" with whoever would listen? Why do I find it so hard to just sit down and share the little things in life that still mean so much to me?

Honestly, I don't know where Jo went. And I can't go back to the way things "used to be", since I'll never be a carefree fifteen year old with no troubles in the world except a piano competition and getting the quotes quiz up on time.

I think I need to not only stop and smell the roses, but share them. Because those little things I love and used to share so freely with you all are still in my life - just as precious as they were then. My baby "Zuzu", who I posted so proudly about in one of my very first posts is about to celebrate her fourth birthday. "Titiana" is starting high school this fall. "Peter" is eleven years old, and turning into a young man. We're still the same children, but in a different stage of life now.


I don't know…maybe the more mature note that this blog has taken is better. I have been rather enjoying the new feel of things since January. But I think it's time to resurrect some of the old Jo. Don't get me wrong, I think Liza is pretty great, but Jo holds a piece of my childhood, and I think it'll be good for all of us to see her come back now and again.
“I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end." - Jo March, Little Women
With love, as always,

your Jo.

0 little note(s):

Post a Comment