Wednesday, July 24, 2013

faithful with "little."

"He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: 
and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much." - Luke 16:10
Oh, how often I have asked the LORD for more, begged for bigger responsibility. "I can handle it - I'm wise enough, strong enough, old enough." And yet, still nothing came. It begs the question, "Why?"

Praise the LORD that He is not only my God, but my Father. Fathers do not give their infant children more responsibility than they can handle. A four-year-old is not left to babysit the infant for evening. It would downright unwise - foolish.

Sooooo….it follows, that if a child of God was unproven in age, maturity, and responsibility, that God would withhold certain responsibilities until they prove worthy of the task…right?

This weekend, that truth was driven home. Why on earth would God give me great responsibility when I am yet still unproven in what I HAVE been given?

Because it's not that I haven't been given something. I've actually been entrusted with the knowledge of the Holy One. I have the Truth of the Gospel in my care and keeping. Why God would choose me out of all the people in the world to have this precious charge is beyond me - but it's true.

And this what the Lord revealed to me this weekend: I have a beautiful, glorious calling. And it's to fall head over heels in love with my Betrothed. To be faithful to Him, to live the life He is asking me to live so that I can be near with Him. And He isn't holding anything back. Actually, if anyone is being stingy with affection, it's ME.
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; 
and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matthew 6:33
Seek ye first. How many times do we read that verse and blow past what it means?

Yes, I have dreams for my life. But they are so secondary to the calling to follow hard after my Jesus. The more I grow like Him, the more my eyes are focused on Him, the more He will become my All in All, and my dreams will seem so gray in light of Him.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace
- Helen Lemmel
Someday, Lord willing, some of those dreams and desires of my heart (both earthly and heavenly) will be fulfilled - but until that day, I must be aware that I HAVE been given responsibility, I HAVE been given a calling, and I must be faithful. And not only faithful, but thankful and joyful.
"In every thing give thanks: 
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18
So here I am - overwhelmed by His love in choosing me, in awe of His holiness, blessed beyond measure. I'm fixing my eyes on Jesus, reaching out for His promises, pushing "further up and further in!" (a favorite Narnian-Ellers-lian phrase) into The Endless Frontier of His goodness.

And when my eyes are focused heavenward and outward, away from myself, He will supply my needs, He will fulfill my longings.

It's a promise.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! This is REALLY good. I keep going back to, "Delight thyself in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thy heart." So awesome. Thank you, Liza!

    ~ The 14th-Assistant Kitchen Maid (faithful in small things, right? :D)

    ReplyDelete