Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I Have Found Him


This is a bit of a follow up to the post I did during Week Two titled “Cinderella Love” – I just understand that passage to a deeper, more beautiful level now at Week Seven (can you believe that, week SEVEN!?) so I wanted to bring this concept up again.

Song of Solomon – the book everyone awkwardly avoids and hopes their children don’t get a hold of during the “Read the Bible in a Year” plans.

But is it possible that in our awkwardness, we miss the whole point? For the Song of Solomon is a beautiful picture of the love Christ has for His church, and our proper response to that love.

We’ve read a whole lot of Song of Solomon here at Ellerslie, and if you asked around, you’ll find that it’s become a favorite book (or at least a very significant book) to most students and staff members.

So, previously, I just quoted the beautiful line “I have found Him and I will not let Him go.”

Solyma (unromantically translated “Shulamite”), is in her bedchamber when she hears her Beloved approaching. He knocks on the door, but she is too tired to get up and answer – and He leaves. Suddenly she is overcome with longing for Him, and jumps up to open the door, but He’s gone. So begins the search for her Beloved. It takes her all over, it exposes her to the ridicule of others – they don’t understand Who she is searching for and why He is so important to her. She is beaten and shoved around by the watchmen, mocked. Yet she continues to search, seeking single-heartedly after her Beloved. And because of this devotion, the people ask, “Goodness, who IS this Beloved anyway that you would go through all this trouble and pain for Him?” and despite what she’s been through, she bursts out with joy and delight, eager to share with others the loveliness of her Lord.

This is the Christian life. This is to be my witness in the world. To be so single-heartedly devoted to my Beloved Jesus that even those who are just observing my life, without any context, want to know what WHY I do what I do.

Here’s the Scripture, streamlined for your reading pleasure (because yes, Songs is still an awkward book at times :D)

Song of Solomon 5:2-16 (NKJV)
[Solyma] “I sleep, but my heart is awake; It is the voice of my beloved! He knocks, saying, ‘Open for me, my sister, my love, my dove, my perfect one’…I have taken off my robe, how can I put it on again? I have washed my feet; how can I defile them? My beloved put his hand by the latch of the door, and my heart yearned for him…I opened for my beloved, but my beloved had turned away and was gone. My heart leaped up for him when he spoke. I sought him, but I could not find him; I called him but he gave me no answer. The watchmen who went about the city found me. They struck me, they wounded me; the keepers of the wall took my veil away from me…
[Daughters of Jerusalem] What is your beloved more than another beloved…what is your beloved more than another beloved?
[Solyma] My beloved is white and ruddy, chief among ten thousand…Yes, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem!”
And you can tack on the end of this chapter 3:1-4, since it’s the same idea and closes the journey.
[Solyma] “By night on my bed I sought the one I love; I sought him but I did not find him. ‘I will rise now,’ I said, ‘And go about the city; In the streets and in the squares I will seek the one I love.’ I sought him, but did not find him. The watchmen who go about the city found me; I said, ‘Have you seen the one I love?’ Scarcely had I passed them, when I found the one I love. I held him and would not let him go.

Just let it sink in. I love my Jesus!

1 comment: