Saturday, August 17, 2013

the beginning.

Well, folks. So ends the saga of my basic semester at Ellerslie. It's honestly hard to believe that nine weeks flew by so quickly.

Tomorrow is graduation - and Monday is send-off day. I have a lot of goodbyes coming up, and I don't like goodbyes. These ladies and gentlemen that I have been with this summer have become so dear to me in so many ways. You could say that in a way, we've grown up together. We came into this semester in various stages of spiritual growth and maturity (or lack thereof) and over the past weeks have wrestled and prayed and cried and encouraged and grown together into a tight group of believers with one single focus - the glory of Jesus Christ.

Our final session, our final morning worship with Ben, our final everything it seems was on Friday. It was pretty emotional, and when we all stood in one giant circle around the room as one family and sang "It Is Well With My Soul"…it was rather hard to hold composure.

But even though these goodbyes are going to wrench my heart, there's something beautiful about being launched. We're all leaving to go home to incredibly different families, situations and lives. We could feel incredibly alone, separated by so many miles, even oceans. And yet, we have the same Jesus. And…this is the crowning truth:

Jesus is going with us.

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." - Joshua 1:9
I'm not going to be alone. This isn't the end of the journey. Rather, it is a glorious beginning of an adventure of a life time - a life with Jesus. He loves me with an everlasting, steadfast love - He will be faithful to complete the good work He has begun in me. In fact, my spiritual life isn't going to plateau after I leave…it's going to GROW. These *next* nine weeks have the potential to be the best nine weeks of my life to date.

So, yes, being the emotional girl that I am, I'm going to cry tomorrow, and definitely on Monday. But not because I'm afraid, or alone, or hopeless, only because I'm sad to be leaving this sacred fellowship. I'm actually ridiculously excited.

I'm feeling a little bit like Lucy at the end of The Last Battle.
“And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.” - C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

1 comment:

  1. I love that C.S. Lewis quote. It's so easy for me to think my life here, or whatever is happening at the moment, is the Alpha & Omega, but that title is reserved for a far more deserving Subject.
    The Ian Thomas quote on your side bar is also really good. Pretty convicting.
    Safe travels!

    ~ The 14th-Assistant Kitchen Maid

    ReplyDelete