Tuesday, September 24, 2013

celebrate musicals week.

So, evidently there's a blog event happening ahora mismo that I was unaware of. This is not surprising, since there are many, many blog events that happen that I don't know about, but this actually is surprising considering the topic of this particular one - musicals.

I know I haven't really posted about the theatre aspect of my existence in a long time, so this seemed like it would be fun to do and get back into the groove a little bit.

celebrate musicals week
with Miss Dashwood

Yet Another Period Drama Blog

Joining the party by doing the tag - here goes!


1.  What musical did you pick to "spotlight" this week and why?
It's technically a revival, but I'm not sure why, since this is the first time it's been on Broadway. Hm.

After much thought and deliberation (how in the WORLD does someone like me pick ONE musical to highlight?), I decided to think out of the box and give y'all a glimpse of a new favorite show of mine, aside from my classics. (read: Phantom) The new Cinderella production is one of the sweetest shows you will EVER see or listen to, and even though I was bummed that it opened for previews just one short week AFTER my trip to New York City, I've heard nothing but rave reviews, and I've fallen in love with the soundtrack myself. 

2.  How did you discover the musical you picked (hereinafter referred to as "your musical")?
Actually, it's a long story. Rachel and Sarah introduced me to R&H's Cinderella years ago, but the black and white Julie Andrews TV special.

Then, during a hair day with Mihret last year, we watched Disney's remake of the same, but starring Whitney Houston and Brandy. It quickly became one of Mihret's favorite movies, so I've seen that one countless times. Both the Julie Andrews and the Brandy versions are lovely, so naturally, I was excited when….

I was in NYC, I saw the billboards up for Cinderella and it clicked that it was the Rogers' and Hammerstein. So I looked up the cast, and after some more investigation, came up with the question, "What's NOT to love?" Catherine and I eagerly awaited the release of the soundtrack, and now's ranking pretty high up there with Les Mis and Phantom and Joseph on our "most played" list.

3.  If you had to pick three favorite songs from your musical, which ones would they be?
"Ten Minutes Ago" hands down for a start. Followed closely by "Impossible." The third one…humph…making me choose again….okay. "In My Own Little Corner." (sorry, "A Lovely Night" - you're lovely too :P)

4.  What's your least favorite song from your musical?
"There's Music in You." No comment.

5.  Who are your favorite characters (choose up to three)?
Considering I have yet to see it on Broadway, I'm not sure who my favorite of the secondary characters would be. But obviously Ella and Topher….and I think I would love Charlotte and Madame….Cassie, thoughts? :)

6.  Which versions of your musical have you seen/listened to, and which is your favorite?
As I mentioned before - I've seen the 1957 Julie Andrews TV special, the Brandy/Whitney one from 1997, and listened to the 2013 Broadway cast many, many times. I would have to say, the Brandy movie is my favorite of the two films, but the Broadway cast is my favorite over all.

7.   Is this your favorite musical of all time?  If not, what is?
Um, haha. NO. What is? Phantom of the Opera. Yes, Les Mis is a super close second, and I listen to the latter more often, but Phantom is the one nearest and dearest to me.

8.   Which cast album/musical soundtrack in your collection do you listen to the most?
Depends on my mood. Recently it's been an overwhelming dose of Fiddler on the Roof. But in general, it's either the original Broadway cast of Les Miserables, or 25th Anniversary of Phantom of the Opera.

9.   What is your favorite costume from your musical?

As much as I love the ball gowns, Ella's "servant" dress is my favorite. I love the touch her headscarf gives to the look, as well as the color combination.

10.  If you could change anything about your musical, what would you change?
Hmmm….maybe if Topher was a little bit more of a man at the beginning….not a huge fan of undecided wimpy princes. Hehe.


11.  Which role(s) would you most like to play in any musical, if you had the opportunity to do so on stage?
Hodel in Fiddler on the Roof, Maria in West Side Story, and Eponine in Les Miserables.

12.  If you could choose one performer to play any part in your musical, who would you choose and which part would you have them play?
Aside from the fact that the current cast is stunning, I would love to see Kristin Chenoweth as Charlotte…I think she would do a hilarious job. :D

13.  Do you consider yourself a musical theatre fan in general or do you just like a few musicals?
Haha. *cough*

14.  Are you tired of the word "musical" yet?
(see answer to above question)

15.  Turn your music playing device on shuffle (or utilize Pandora if you don't have one) and tell us the names of the first three show tunes that come up-- no cheating!  How do these rank on your favorites/most-listened-to list?
1. A British Bank/The Life I Lead from Mary Poppins
2. You Won't Be An Orphan For Long from Annie
3. They Live in You from The Lion King: Broadway

Goodness, that is a straaaange combination. Well, I used to listen to Annie more than I do now, simply 'cause I was IN the show…but it's been a while since I voluntarily turned it on. I do listen to the others on occasion as well…but not frequently. Interesting.


Well, that's all for now! Stay tuned for more Cinderella-themed posts this week. *grin* Didn't realize how much I'd missed posting about musicals - it was a nice break, but it's lovely to be back.

4 comments:

  1. I looooooved this post! Hello, I'm Caroline, by the way! I found you through Miss Dashwood's blog. ;] I recently got this cast album--Laura Osnes has the loveliest, most Cinderella-like voice! Cinderella is officially now one of my favorite musicals (I've really liked the Julie Andrew's version for years), and definitely on the bucket list of shows to see live one day. I'll definitely be popping back in to read more of your posts this week. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, another person doing Cinderella! Yay! To say I love the Broadway album would be an understatement. It's amazing and isn't Laura Osnes the best!?!

    I've seen the 1957 and the 1997 versions as well. I really need to see if our library has the 1965 version, then I could compare them all. I thought the 1997 version was okay, but the Julie Andrews one is my favorite that I've seen. Although if I saw the Broadway version (I'm hoping to at least see it when they tour), I have no doubt that that would be my favorite. Everything about it looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Love it!!! And I didn't realized we had the pleasure of introducing you to this jewel! Yay for us! ;) Laura Osnes is *such* a good Cinderella, imho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did someone say my name? ;) This post made me smile. Laura Osnes is perfect and all this reminiscing is making me want to get on a plane and go back to NYC and see it again.

    Regarding third favorite character? Herman the fish. No doubt there. ;) You meant actually on the stage? Well, Charlotte was hysterical as was Madame as was Marie as was Lord Pinkleton. Sorry; that wasn't much help, was it?

    Oh, and can I just say that your idea to cast Kristin Chenoweth as Charlotte is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete