Monday, October 28, 2013

thinking about heaven.

















At the very beginning of the sermon on Sunday, Pastor Keith asked how often we as Christians think about heaven. That wasn't the main topic of the message, but it got my wheels turning. Yes, I know this world is not my home and I'm just passin' through, but how often is my mind on my Home Country...the Kingdom I was made for, where I belong? How often, instead of spending so much time on rather silly, worthless, worldly things, does my mind wander to the day when I will see Jesus face to face? Not as often as I should, I'm afraid. But the funny thing is, I find that when I do dwell on the very thought of that moment, I tear up and get all achy inside because I want it so very much.

Our very limited human imaginations tries to make a mental picture of heaven based off of the beauty we see around us here on earth. So try to think *outside* the box and visualize a Savior so astronomically more beautiful than anything we have the ability to see here - and you'll be floored. It's impossible to imagine, but yet...as the Bride of Christ, we can't help but try.

I challenge you - think about heaven. Think about Jesus. Look forward with eager, butterflies-in-your-tummy anticipation to the day when our faith shall be sight. Think on Him. Think like Him. Remember where your citizenship lies. Long for that day when we pilgrims return home.

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." {Hebrews 12:1-2KJV}

"For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself." 
{Philippians 3:20-21NKJV}

3 comments:

  1. Aw yeah. It is such an amazing feeling to think about that. I think I think most about Jesus' eyes, and his smile. That is what I'm most looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful reminder, Liza, to look to Jesus and think of Heaven, our TRUE home! =)

    ReplyDelete