Thursday, October 10, 2013

when His Little Feet came to Charlottesville.

Once upon a time, a girl and her dad went out to Colorado. He was there for a business trip, she was there to look at a "school" she wanted to attend in the near future.

While she was visiting the school, a team of adults from a group called "His Little Feet" - a ministry based out the same school - gave a brief orientation meeting to the students currently attending the school on how to talk to and treat the children from His Little Feet who would be arriving the next day.


They also handed out a black and white paper with photos and names of all the children on it. On that list were seven Indian children. Sadly, the staff informed the group that these children's visas had not been approved and would not be coming just yet. After that, we spent some time in prayer for those children, then moved on with the day.

That girl's heart went out to those tiny black and white photos and names - wondering if someday, she would get to meet the children face to face. For the next nine months, whenever she thought of His Little Feet, she sent up a prayer for those seven children from India.


In June, that same girl returned to the school, this time as a student. Her first question to the His Little Feet staff was "Are the Indian children here?" The answer? No. Still no visa approval.

One month into the semester, the students spent an entire morning prayer session in prayer for the Indian children of His Little Feet. The next day, the visas cleared, and the children were flown into Chicago. It would be another two weeks or so before they arrived on campus - but finally, the girl was able to meet these precious ones face to face, give them hugs, and see firsthand how amazing our God truly is.


And now, two months after my graduation from Ellerslie, my church and I had the honor, joy and privilege of hosting His Little Feet for three days, with a concert in the middle. These same Indian children who I'd first heard about and prayed for nearly a *year* ago, and thought I might never see, were in my church, in the homes of my near and dear friends, and exploring the countryside of my hometown. To God be the glory! He doesn't have to bless us like this, but He chooses to because He loves His children. 

After the concert Tuesday night, we spent the choir's free day roaming about on Carter's Mountain and Monticello. We were all pretty exhausted by the end of the day, but, as Auntie Christa pointed out, it's educational








Uncle Josh to Zuala: "How long do you think that guy had to sit up there to make him look like that?"

Carter's Mountain doesn't normally run hayrides during the week…but they *just so happened* to be doing them for school groups that day, and offered us one as well. Luck? I think not.








Dami, Uncle Jake and Eni


Uncle Jake: "I think that truck belongs to the skeleton man."









Baby Charis joined us for some of the activities too - I can't believe how much she's grown just since August! Precious girl.



Oh, did I mention that it was rather chilly? *shivers*


Kima, David, Eni, Chhuani, Donaldson, Dami, Zuala, Vena

silly faces with Auntie Zeli


David and the Giant Pumpkin







Finding the perfect apple




Picnic lunch outside overlooking Charlottesville


Then, after some discussion and deliberation, we all piled back into the bus and went over to the next mountain - Monticello. We had to wait forty minutes for the next tour that would have enough space for our rather large group, so we watched a short movie about Thomas Jefferson and went exploring around the visitor center.


David found that if you put the spinny-light-thingy underneath the kaleidoscope, it created a pretty awesome looking color-changing creation.

Auntie Zeli drawing Eni on the blackboard. It was so much fun getting to know the tour staff as well - they're pretty special too.

Only my brother would pull on a bellows cramp and sing, "Look down, look down, don't look them in the eye…"

unlocking a secret message

Michael, Luke, Uncle Jon

Chhuani and Uncle Josh both built pretty impressive block creations

We did finally go up to the house, and the children seemed to enjoy everything they saw. From what I could gather, the main things that they came away with had to do with the picture of Salome and John the Baptist on the wall of the parlor, the pink bed where Thomas Jefferson died, and the large circular ice house under the terrace. *grin*


classic must-take Monticello shot.


tired, but still smiling as we wait for the shuttle.

I think I have more pictures of David than any other member of the choir. *chuckle*

"Auntie, look! Take picture!"

We say goodbye today, and it will be hard to see them go, but it's been a blessed three days that I won't ever forget. 

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I was thinking about the call that God has placed on His body. Adoption is not something we get to "choose" to do. It's a given. And adoption doesn't even have to be legally taking an orphan into your home and calling them yours. We can adopt God's heart for 143 million + orphans around the world, cry out for them, pray for them, and adopt them into our hearts. Yes, for some that means physically, for some it might be a call to ministry, but it's a call for all of us.

Y'all know me - you know that I spend the best hours of my day (and have for years) doing something related to children. I don't think it's a coincidence that the "Most Likely to have 20 children" label was stuck on me this summer. And ministries like His Little Feet, and our church's ministry to Merkato, Ethiopia tug at a special place in my heart that nothing else does

I may never have twenty biological or adopted children. But I don't think that's the point. It's being obedient to the call of my Lord to open my heart to the children He wants to place there - no matter what the number or where they are or who they are.

It's been a long, full week (that's not even over yet), but it's been eye-opening and who knows, maybe even life-changing for me. More barriers dissolved, more reservations removed, more of my heart opened up.

And all this….because, back in November of 2012, He planted a little seed of hope that someday I would hold these Indian children in my arms.

Isn't that just like God?

4 comments:

  1. Aw man, now I miss Charlottesville even more. : /

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this made me tear up, Liza. I so badly wish we could have come. :'( Darn it. Precious faces, precious children. Oh these precious ones. I've been thinking a lot about adoption too, lately... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post, Liza! It is so good to hear of God's answer to your prayer for these dear children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaahh, Liza, I just discovered your blog! Oh man, looking at your pics. I almost started crying. Miss seeing those kids so much...and Ellerslie...and you and all the others at Ellerslie!! What a joy to see bits and pieces from the His Little Feet travels - it's awesome that you got to host them!

    Oh by the way, Happy Birthday in advance! Hope you have a blessed day filled with the joy of the Lord!
    Love ya' and hope to catch up with you sometime soon!
    April

    ReplyDelete