Thursday, November 21, 2013

henry owls and why they matter

All while I was growing up, one of my best friends lived in my neighborhood. She is two months older than me, the oldest of six children, homeschooled her whole life. We did choir together at co-op, swam on the same swim team for years, have attended the same churches in the past, our mamas have been friends for over fifteen years, and gone to each others' birthday parties. In my mind, we were the same.

I'm thankful I know this beautiful young lady. I'm thankful I got to walk through her heart surgery with her as a prayer warrior when we were eleven. I'm thankful for all the years I've enjoyed her friendship, her excitement as we counted down the days until my birthday so we could be the same age again. I'm thankful that for, as long as I can remember, part of my heart has belonged to a girl with Downs Syndrome.

So, it's with GREAT enthusiasm and joy that I introduce you to:

The Henry Owl.



My dear friend Kaitlin has been making these owls since the spring, donating a percentage of the proceeds to charities. But since the birth of her little brother Addison "Henry", who was born with Downs Syndrome in April, she has been donating 50% of the profit from the Henry Owls to Down Syndrome Awareness causes like the Buddy Walk.



Out of all the precious babies diagnosed with Downs Syndrome *before* birth, a staggering, heart-wrenching 90% are aborted. That's disgusting and shameful. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of these "unwanted" little ones.


But there's a happy truth - these little ones are NOT unwanted by their Maker and Creator. And as the hands and feet of Christ, we have a heavenly responsibility to these children to be their voice, to speak out on their behalf, to give them the opportunity to live.


I encourage you, go to Kaitlin's website a stitch in lives, find yourself a little owl, and be excited that when you pay for your new friend, you're also donating to the cause of these vulnerable children.


But more than that, I encourage to know your facts. Know your calling as a follower of Christ. Speak out for those who cannot speak for themselves. Maybe it means volunteering with the Buddy Walk, or being an Angel Tree Warrior for Reece's Rainbow, or maybe just talking to people about the value of every life.

You never know how the Lord will use your obedience. He may use you to save a baby's life. To give a fearfully and wonderfully made child the chance to live.

It matters what you do.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Liza. Made me tear up. You don't know how much it means to me that you not only accept Henry but love and believe in him. Thank you so much for supporting the Henry Owl but even more for having such a beautiful heart for Down Syndrome!

    Love you!
    nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm catching up on your blog, and this post rocked my world!!!!! Thanks for loving LL! :) LL's mom

    ReplyDelete