Tuesday, December 3, 2013

blow, blow thou winter wind...

Indulge me a moment….

Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then, heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.

- from Act II, Scene 7, As You Like It by William Shakespeare

Nothing like our beloved Shakespeare to start off a post, right?

Currently, I'm sitting on my bed drinking Tazo Chai tea (which has been a guilty pleasure of mine since  my final gloriously bittersweet week at Ellerslie), snacking on kolo and taking a happy break from packing.


Packing? You ask. Where are you going?
I don't know, I say.
Then what are you packing for? you reply.
We're moving, I say.
MOVING?! you're speechless. Frankly, so am I.
Yes, we're moving. A week after Christmas.
Where? you have your voice back.
I don't know, remember? I reply.


Yes. The Morales family is mobile. We have a POD sitting in our driveway, our basement is full of boxes, our bookshelves are empty, and every room looks like a tornado went through it. We are moving. We don't know where yet - we'll still be here in the area, of course, we just haven't been able to line up a house yet. At this point, we may end up living with my cousins and grandparents for a couple weeks - we'll see. Moving day is tentatively set for January 4th or 5th - could be earlier.


It's a little crazy, moving over the holidays. Okay, more than a little crazy. But it's been an incredible lesson in dependence, and we are trusting God fully that He will show us the right place when the time is right.

So our days are full of packing boxes, purging through our rather extensive piles of unnecessary belongings, house hunting, house touring, long days and late nights, and lots of quality family time.

Our prayer this month has been that this experience, instead of being stressful and worrisome, would be peaceful, full of joy, and that we would be drawn closer together as a family because of it. So far, that's been true. It's not an easy road to walk - we've put a lot into this house the past four years, especially the garden, and even though we all knew it was time to move, it'll be hard to leave. And, it's just a crazy time of year to be moving - no doubt about it.

In other news….Thankgiving was lovely. We spent it with my Dad's family here in town. I was so overwhelmed with gratitude to be sitting beside my Aunt Lisa - just the fact that she was there was enough, but that she is doing so very well in health and has her energy back and is doing what she loves again just added to the joy.




Of course, we made pies that she could eat (as dairy and sugar free as we could get - or as Grandpa would say, "Wild caught, free range and happy") , and I'll be the first to say that organic squash pie and corn-syrup-less pecan pie taste much better than they sound *hehe*


We also spent quite a bit of time playing pool. With so many people who want a turn, and just one table, we generally play "pill" - which makes for quite a lively, and sometimes rather long, game.


Friday, I took Catherine, Rebekah, Caroline and Noel to see the new Disney movie, Frozen. I originally agreed to take them just so I could hear Idina and Santino, but ended up thoroughly enjoying myself and being very glad I went.


The music was superb - had a very Broadway feel to it, most likely because they tailored the score to fit the voices of the incredibly talented mostly-from-Broadway cast. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" nearly made me cry in the first five minutes, however, "Love is an Open Door" was probably my favorite - but I'm biased. (yay Santino!). And the latter kinda sounds it belongs in High School Musical…and that's not the only song that seems to hearken back to previous Disney productions….


 If you've seen Tangled, you'll find that "For the First Time in Forever" is subtly (or not so subtly) reminiscent of "When Will My Life Begin?", and non-Disney-related: if you know Wicked: The Musical, "Let it Go" is basically another version of "Defying Gravity" (yay Idina!).


The costumes (if you can call them that when it's animated *grin*) and hairstyles were beautifully done - now I want a cape. *hehe* I love anything remotely Scandinavian, so the countryside and the argyle and the reindeer were right up my alley.


Even the plot and character development, even though it wasn't quite Pixar (my standard :P), was well-defined and highlighted important character traits and life lessons that Disney normally glosses over. Elsa went "bad" trying to be good….without Love. It was only when she learned what Love truly meant, in the every self-sacrificing aspect of this grossly misunderstood and overused word, that she was able to do what she truly desired in her heart - and that was to be a good ruler, a good sister.

I was SO SO glad that Kristoff was a honest tradesman (yay Jonathan!)…as much as I love Flynn, I didn't want another Thieving Hero. Just because. Oh, and his reindeer sidekick, Sven, is basically Maximus With Antlers. "Reindeers are better than people…"


I still don't understand the Snowman in Summer song…or the Snowman character in general…but Catherine reminded me that the movie isn't exactly geared towards nineteen year olds anyway, so I'm moving on. "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle, but put me in summer and I'll be a….HAPPY SNOWMAN!!!" Okay… :) Once again, another throwback to a previous Disney - anyone else thinking "Jolly Holiday" from Mary Poppins?

The only slightly negative elements were some few and far-between instances of potty humor…typical, but unhelpful. And romantic elements, but how you view those depends on your personal standards. It's nothing out of the normal Disney romantic way - no surprises.

We don't like watching the previews before the movies (ahhh, the garbage on screen! don't get me started) so instead we roamed the hallways of the theatre and took pictures in front of random movie posters.





I have great sisters - admit it.

On Saturday, I hiked Old Rag Mountain with some friends from swim team - we had quite a jolly time on the icy, slightly-dangerous-in-places trail.












My friends, I am thankful. I am thankful for four years in this house. I am thankful for the way the Lord has provided for us, especially over the last six years. I am thankful for the assurance we have that He will continue to care for us, guide us, and watch over us in the months and years to come. I am thankful for this time we've been able to spend as a family. I'm thankful for SO MUCH.

Here's to the last month of 2013 - may there never be a dull moment!

4 comments:

  1. You're moving?! I wish there was a chance of the Morales clan trekking a bit further south, but I see that is not the case. Oh well. We'll definitely be keeping all of you in our prayers! On a lighter note, I hope our Christmas card makes it to you on time. ;)

    Before we went to see Frozen, the general consensus was that it was going to be the equivalent of Tangled in Norway. I was pleasantly surprised, though! The relationship between Elsa and Anna was probably my favorite part: a different spin on the typical Disney dynamics. I freely admit that "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" made me cry, and I don't normally get teary in movies. Idina did a marvelous job; I think her voice was one of the main reasons I loved Elsa. We've been singing "Let It Go" since Saturday because it's just that catchy. :P And the Scandinavian elements made me so happy.

    Love,
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farther south?!? No, Lizzy! They need to come NORTH! Wouldn't that be something? The Morales family gone northern...oh, I love it. :)

      As for Frozen, I've seen previews but, honestly, I thought they all looked incredibly stupid. However, after so many many glowing reviews maybe it's worth a shot.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, we've been praying for you all since we heard about that. I hope you all find a house quickly and move in smoothly.

    But on another note, Old Rag is awesome. I've climbed it before, and it's so much fun! Oh, and at the movie theater during the previews, David and I (it's usually just us and Dad) look around uncomfortably, everywhere but at the screen. : P

    I'm hoping to watch Frozen at some point, but I would have made the same point about the snowman in summer. Guess it wasn't made for 17 year olds either. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't going to see Frozen because the trailer made it seem incredibly juvenile and I haven't time for that. :-) I'm interested in seeing it now though... Maybe for my sister's birthday. :-)

    ReplyDelete