Friday, December 20, 2013

sparkling moment of humanity // christmas lights

via pinterest
I saw a Sparkling Moment of Humanity today.

I'm always on the lookout for these - you know, those little candid moments you catch that make your heart smile and you eyes sparkle for a passing moment before they're gone.

At first glance, it didn't look like much. Just a Normal House in a Typical American Neighborhood. And some random older gentleman standing out in front of the House on a little white stool underneath an arbor over his sidewalk.

But then, looking again, it was more than that.

This gentleman is mostly likely well into his seventies. His hair was white, his hands were shaky, and his knees probably aren't as reliable as they used to be.

When I first drove by, he was holding onto the metal arch with one hand and stringing colored Christmas lights with the other. His wife, who looked to be in about the same stage of life as her spouse, was standing beside him, presumably giving directions. (somethings never change) I smiled to myself as I passed, wondering absentmindedly how many years she's stood there, hands on her hips, directing him as he put the decorations. "Yes, honey. Of course, dear."

When I drove back by a few minutes later, I looked over at their house again, to see if they were still at it. And I noticed immediately that Mrs. Christmas Lights wasn't giving instructions anymore.

Nope.

She was still standing beside Mr. Christmas Lights, yes, but she had her arms wrapped tightly around his waist, holding him steady so he could string the bulbs with both hands without worrying about losing his balance.

So simple, yet so profound.

A happy sort of lump sprang up in my throat as I saw those two, and a little extra sparkle was added to my day. It was a such a beautiful picture - something I'll keep stored away in the back of mind for years to come. It spoke volumes, told a love story.

It made my heart smile.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! That's so sweet. I love watching elderly couples who are obviously still in love. Thanks for sharing!

    ~ The Ordinary Princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Like. LOVE this. :)

    ReplyDelete