Thursday, January 2, 2014

25 Things I've Learned This Week:

1. Never. Ever. EVER. underestimate the amount of stuff a family of ten can accumulate over a four-and-a-half year period.

2. Pizza is always a good idea…even the third night in a row. *cough* *gag* *snort* *swallow*

3. If the moving truck can't drive over 35 miles an hour on the bypass, there's probably something wrong.

4. If said moving truck's transmission goes out, you CAN get it towed to your destination. Note: the moving van + tow truck combo could very well be over 100 ft long.

5. You can never have too many strong guy friends to help carry your furniture.

6. Our friends and extended family are the best in the world - we COULD NOT have moved without them.

7. There is no such thing as too much peppermint.

8. If you move three days after Christmas, you will not have much of a holiday. Just so you know.

9. Chickens CAN be moved IN THEIR COOP….if all the doors are securely latched.

10. Food options are slim pickings when it takes you five days to move. Our diet consisted of pizza, danish butter cookies, oreos, more pizza, cinnamon toast, bagels, more and more pizza, clementines, even more pizza, cheese and crackers, apples and peanut butter, still more pizza….etc.

11. Nothing a little animated Disney can't fix if you're under ten years old. Or older. Depends.

12. I think Josh and Susannah can quote Mulan, Mulan II, The Lion King, and 101 Dalmations in their entirety in their sleep.

13. The more pianos you have, the happier your friends will be to help you move them. *cough* Right?

14. Your forearms WILL be sore. For days.

15. Lifts on the back of moving trucks are too much fun for anyone's good.

16. Cats don't like to be duct taped into cardboard boxes. But then, who would? Don't worry, they've been freed.

17. iPhone personal hotspots will change your life.

18. Guys - take note: it takes girls a while to figure out where they want the furniture in their bedroom (especially when there's five of them sharing one room). Be ready to move the same exact piece of furniture multiple times before they're happy.

19. heated bathroom floors are the world's greatest invention.

20. It's okay for four teenagers to stay up on New Year's Eve and watch 101 Dalmations. No shame. We needed a break.

21. There's no such thing as too much peppermint. Oops, I already said that. Well, it's worth repeating.

22. Moving can do strange things to four-year-olds' brains. They go a little….nutty. Which makes life interesting if they already were.

23. You can, in fact, live without phone or internet for extended periods of time. Who knew?

24. What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger…We WILL Survive!!!

And this is the most important things our family has learned:

25.  The Lord always, always, ALWAYS provides for His children.
I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread. - Psalm 27:35 ESV


Oh, and Happy New Year! Can you believe it's 2014? What happened to last year? Good grief. Guess what's happening this year?

I have no idea.

The only thing I know is that I'm turning 20. Which is old. *shivers* And I'm going to be in a wedding. Not my own, obviously, but my "big sister"'s wedding. I'm a bridesmaid. Happiness!

Anyway. Here's to more of Jesus in everything we do in the next twelve months! He's the same yesterday, today and forever! No shadow of turning, no changing!

xoxox

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you learned a lot. :O) I'm glad y'all survived. And I now need to find 101 Dalmations somewhere and watch it - it's been far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, totally agree with the iPhone hotspot. : P
    When you were talking about the heated bathroom floor, you should have seen your face.
    And there's nothing wrong with animated Disney, when I need a break I'll sit down and watch it with the little ones. ; )

    You scared me for a sec, I thought you were the one getting married this year! I was like O_O

    And then I was like "Oh. Nevermind. Wait- 20!?"

    Years really pick up speed as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't help but giggle as I read this post. L'chaim, I suppose is a proper response, yes? ;)
    Ugh, too much pizza. I wish I was there to cook for you! (Side note: I've been on an incurable cooking kick lately. What has gotten into me?)
    Heated bathroom floors, oh my! Haven't felt those since the California-visiting days. But yes, yes, yes, best thing ever invented.

    I refuse to believe that you're almost 20. Refuse. Remember the 16-going-on-17 blog party? So long ago...

    Hugs,
    -Bree

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I couldn't be part of this fantastic moving adventure ;) But my Mom and I love to organize; so if you need any of that, let us know!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Liza! I'm so glad God provided a house. It is so reassuring to know that He, alone, is unchanging.

    ~ The Ordinary Princess

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post had me laughing quite a bit! hehe... And you can NEVER have too much pizza...or peppermint, for that matter. =) Thanks for sharing, and happy new year! =)

    ~jaime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pizza and peppermint...I knew there was a reason I loved you :) Three emotions as I read this post: 1.) So happy to hear you happy, joking and generally back to our good old Jo. 2.) Nostalgic and a little teary to see the picture of the old house :'( 3.) Super exited to read your "big sister" is getting married! Many congrats to them both.

    Now you must know I am anxious to see pictures of the new house! Ha! Heated floors!

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you've been having quite an adventure! I was smiling all through this post. It always helps to be able to laugh during adventures...or at least after them. :) And I agree about the peppermint.

    ReplyDelete