Sunday, February 16, 2014

my Littles.

If I've done one thing well while being home, it's been spending time with my Littles. These "babies" who went from being two years old and newborn to SEVEN and FOUR in absolutely no time at all. These Not-So-Littles who I want to be my buddies forever and ever and ever - even once I'm old and married with my own Littles. We do school together in the mornings, we play lots and lots and lots of UNO and Slamwich and Candy Land and Sum Swamp (don't even get me started on the last one - goodness) and sometimes we just snuggle up and watch Disney movies with hot chocolate or something low key.

“You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. 
There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count.” - aa milne.


I think it's my Littles that keep me in love with the best of British and American children's literature. Paddington Bear, Teddy Robinson, Winnie the Pooh, A.A. Milne in general, Andrew Lang's Fairy Books, William Bennett's compilations of Child's Book of Virtues and American Folk Tales, Little House on the Prairie, Uncle Wiggly's Story Book, The Tales of Uncle Remus, and the list goes on. 

“My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” - aa milne


Of course, working closely with the Littles means that sometimes we have….our moments. But I keep quotes like this in mind, and we get by tolerably.

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. 
It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.”  - aa milne


They keep me young - keep me crazy, keep me on my toes. They are my "Mama Bootcamp" drill sergeants - I see direct results every time I over-react or do something they do not appreciate. But there's also great joy when I see us growing closer together. Love is a decision, an action, a life-style - and when your priorities are straight, things change, and it's very sweet to see. 

“When stuck in the river, it is best to dive and swim to the bank yourself before someone drops a large stone on your chest in an attempt to hoosh you there.” - aa milne


Learning their love languages has been fun too - found out that game time and snuggles and food of any kind is sure to be a hit. Especially with the Boy.


“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It's the same thing," he said.” - aa milne



My Littles make me want to use my camera - to take zillions of pictures. Good thing they are willing models - always and always, as long as they get to "see" afterwards. Vain little dears. <3

“Oh Tigger, where are your manners?"
"I don’t know, but I bet they’re having more fun than I am.”  - aa milne


Most profoundly, though, my Littles have taught me how to see things on their level. To see those beautiful eyes best, I have to kneel down. Even in the snow, when my jeans get soaked, it's worth it just to get them on film. Sometimes its buttoning a coat, or tying a shoe, or helping on and off with boots, or holding gloves for little fingers to wiggle into - you have to be on their level.

“When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.” - aa milne


I love my Littles. So thankful I get to be their big sissy forever and ever.

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.” - aa milne

2 comments:

  1. Agh, my heart. It's filled on Milne and these precious Littles of yours, and it hurts with a beautifully homey ache. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! THey're adorable :)

    ReplyDelete