Wednesday, April 30, 2014

the sickening sacrifice

Yesterday, we listened to a two-part sermon by Paris Reidhead titled “Victory”, dealing with the three main enemies {the flesh, the world, and the devil} of having victory in Christ, and how Jesus’ work enables us to overcome all three.

Satan has used the same three tools or tactics throughout the ages - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. Reidhead walked through each of these and how they looked in ancient and modern cultures.

The parallels are pretty eye-opening.

The lust of the flesh in the Old Testament was made manifest in the worship of the Ashteroth - a goddess of sexual pleasure, and a dangerous slope of spiritualizing immorality in any way, shape or form, and lack of self-control.

The lust of the eyes showed itself when Israel continued to fear God, yet also served the heathen gods of the land - since superstition got the better of them, and they even saw supposed “results” from the idol worship, like good crops and health. Tangible results, so they stopped trusting in God’s complete provision.

But it was the final one that cut me - the pride of life. The ancient heathen god Molech is fiercely warned against all throughout the Old Testament. He was the god of security, position, status. As Reidhead began to head down that road, I began to feel sick to my stomach and put my hands over my face. Just the name of that god makes my insides go to mush. As he got into the description of the worship of Molech, I began to cry almost uncontrollably. Parents, desiring the good graces of this demanding and ever-hungry god, would bring their infant child to the image and toss it into the blazing inferno of the fire, alive, as a sacrifice. I’m not making this up, and I’m crying as I type this.

You might be wondering why I’m sharing this, why it matters, but don’t you see?! Our culture does the same thing. THE SAME EXACT THING. To try and say that tearing apart a child in the womb is somehow different or more humane than a blazing live sacrifice is complete lies. Millions of children are sacrificed in our country to the idol of ambition, position, convenience, and status.

I cried for several minutes, silent and grieved. Broken, crushed at the horrible reality acted out daily around me, even in my hometown. Mourning so many beautiful little ones whose lives have been snuffed out for the end goal of selfish ambition. It wasn’t even the focus of the sermon (and it was a powerful message too), but yet it shook me so much. Dear, sweet Kaley, sitting beside me, handed me a tissue and after a while I calmed down. As I glanced around, I saw that I wasn’t the only one shaken.

Afterwards, Kaley and I talked as we walked to lunch. And I realized that even though it’s awkward and difficult that I get so worked up about this every time I hear something of this caliber, I would rather be a crybaby every single time - in public or private - than be able to hear something or see something and not be moved at all.

I’ll take the "embarrassing" public tears over a 
heart of stone any day.

If this doesn’t grieve you, pray about it. Ask God to give you His broken heart for His little children who He has fearfully and wonderfully made. They’re weak, helpless, innocent, silent, and vulnerable. But they have a big God, a loving Father, and He is and is going to continue to fight for them….using us. Be available, ready and willing to tear down the high places erected by our generation.

1 comment:

  1. How can He move in and through me if my heart remains hardened to the devastation that permeates the world around me? Lord, please break our hearts over what breaks Yours. Please Lord, build us into unabashed weeping prophets in this generation, all the while strengthening us in prayer and unity so that we may become fearless warriors for Your Kingdom, that You alone may be glorified. Dear Liza, thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete