Saturday, May 24, 2014

the Father Heart of God


The Father Heart of God
saturday reflection - may 24. 2014
this a slightly edited version of the reflection I gave to my class this evening. I pray y'all are blessed and encouraged by it!

I have an amazing, earthly father. He’s my biggest supporter, my best encourager, my most devoted fan. We’re a pretty awesome team, with skills that balance each other out, but we’re also a dangerous one, since we’re both spontaneous, have the same sense of humor, and prone to spill things. The trust I have in my Daddy is unlike any trust I have for any other person in my life, and I know that if I needed anything, or got hurt, or was in some kind of trouble, he’d tear down stone walls, swim oceans, do whatever it took to get to me. In fact, it’s been really hard for both us for me to be in and out of the home this past year. Hard for me to leave him, hard for him to let me go.

These past few weeks, God’s been walking me through surrender. Surrender of my will for His will, my desires for His desires, and taking the good gifts He’s poured out in over abundance on my life and handing them right back to Him. I can’t keep anything, hold anything to myself, cling to anything except Jesus. That means giving up my Daddy too. I’ve come to see that verse in Luke in a whole different light: ““If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.….So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.” - Luke 14

As the Lord’s been walking me through what it means to hate my father and mother and renounce all to follow Him, He showed me oh, so clearly that He can’t use me to fullest for His kingdom if I’m still tied to *anything* here on this earth. “And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you. Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” - Luke 12

Wait, did you catch that? Twice in that passage it refers to God not just as Jesus’s Father, but as ours. Father. Abba. Daddy. “Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.” Your Father’s good pleasure.

Yes, I still love my Daddy. I still miss him. This new season of being apart has and will continue to be difficult. But the Lord’s not calling me just to give up my family with nothing to replace it. By giving up my earthly Daddy to Jesus, the floodgates are open for me to experience the powerful, jealous, and protective love of my Heavenly Abba more than I ever have before. “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.” - Luke 11:13

I want to encourage y’all - God’s calling us to serve Him. Don’t hold onto your life. The more we let go, the emptier we are of ourselves, the more of Himself He can pour into us…and the more we can know the loving care and experience the depths of the heart of our Abba Father.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Liza for this beautiful sharing of how the Lord has been working in your heart. You continue to be a great model and inspiration to me. I love the encouragement that you gave at the end of your message. I wish you a very powerful and blessed last week as you approach the finish line of the new advanced intensive program (what an amazing feat!) and look forward to being able to congratulate you very soon on your graduation! Much love and blessings in Jesus, Susan

    ReplyDelete