Wednesday, July 23, 2014

this is for you.

I've been meaning to write this down for weeks...but couldn't. I've had to keep it all bottled up inside, not really able to talk about it to anyone, and yet it's hurt. Now I finally can, and this is just my little bit, the best way I know how to say goodbye to my Theatre Bro, who I only knew for a year, but it felt like forever.

James, this post is for you.

This is for all the mysterious winks and eye-rolls as we plowed through Secret Garden music all those late nights in MaryAnne's basement.

This for your incredible baritone that blew everyone away at Oklahoma! casting.

This is for your one liners that made it ridiculously hard to keep a straight face...because we were on *stage*, for crying out loud and you kept making us laugh.

This is for those moments waiting stage right for the next scene and the way you would imitate what was going on onstage - often singing both parts at once, since you're cool like that.

This is for your love for Superman that anyone who knew you any length of time could hardly miss.

This is for your love for Kim, and her whole family, that endeared you to us so immediately. You truly treasured her, and we were all so excited for you both.


This is for the way you became such a perfect, natural part of the Black Box family in so little time. What did we do before you came?


This is for your gentle way with children - honestly, one of the most attractive things about you. They all loved you, climbed over you, pulled on you, felt comfortable with you. A true gift.

This is for all those who loved you and knew you and will miss you forever.

This is for your life. Your short, but oh-so-impactful life that left a James-size hole in all of ours when you left.

I'm so thankful I decided to come back inside, in the *rain* to make sure I said goodbye to you and a few others after our final Secret Garden performance. I didn't know it would be forever, but I'm glad I have that moment.

James, this is for you.

2 comments:

  1. How hard to lose a friend. Especially one so young. Hold tight, girl!

    ReplyDelete