Wednesday, August 13, 2014

three things I've learned this summer

This has been a life-changing summer for your humble authoress. Granted, last summer was pretty epic too.....aaaaand the one before that (what is it about summers for growing up moments!?), but this one was unique because it taught me grown-up lessons that affect other people - not just me. I thought I'd share a few, to encourage you and poke you onward in your quest for Truth.


1. Life is not black and white. It's actually a rainbow splash of color. Just because I'm doing something one way doesn't mean it's the only way - your choices might be are just as valid. Even in seemingly "crystal clear" political and spiritual issues, I have to remember that we're almost always talking about or dealing with real live people, made in the image of God, with eternal souls. They are precious to our Savior, and we cannot allow our own incompetent perceptions get in the way of seeing how God truly views these souls. Every issue has at least two sides - I'm learning how to properly listen and evaluate each one and act in a responsible way out of love and respect and Truth, not personal bias or opinion.


2. If I can't forgive, I've trapped myself. I'll be stuck in a rut that never levels out. I have to know when to take a deep breath, and move on. I have been forgiven much by the One Who created me, loved me in my unloveliness, and died to bring me life - who I am to turn around and withhold fellowship and forgiveness from those who have "wronged" me? There is sweet peace and freedom in letting go. When I'm harboring unforgiveness, it's like I'm clenching my fist inside, tightening up my muscles, holding my breath and praying through my consequent splitting headache and upset stomach that God would somehow convict the other party of their "evil sin". Oh, the simple release and the handing up of the whole kit-n-kaboodle to Jesus and turning my thoughts instead to His love for me, and through that, my love for others.


3. I am loved. So many times I've heard the wrath of God, the judgement of God, the awe-inspiring holiness of God preached, and known in my soul that every word of it is true, and "woe is me for I am a man of unclean lips!" It's right that I should have that view of my King, as it keeps my sin in perspective and shows Christ's cross work for the glorious salvation that it is. However, I cannot miss the fact that Christ's death was not simply because He felt obligated to save my wretched soul....no, He loved me. In my unworthiness, He counted ME worthy to die for. His Father is my King, yes, but He's also MY Father too. My Abba. And He loves me more than anyone else on this earth. In fact, His love is otherworldly. I am worthy. I am loved. I am precious in His sight, His cherished daughter. That gives me more courage than any other truth I've ever been taught.


"Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31-32 KJV

"Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. It is the hard-working farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything....Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:3-7, 15 ESV

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." - Romans 12:2 KJV


It's been a rich summer.

I'm thankful for a patient Abba that's working with the Spirit to make this daughter of His more like Himself, drawing me closer day by day. Being taught in the "school of Christ" isn't always easy, but it's beautiful - and oh, the joy of learning to recognize His voice far outweighs the discomfort that comes when discipline is required. He wants me to know more of Him! His yoke truly is easy, and His burden truly is light.

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:7-11 ESV


How much more.

2 comments:

  1. As usual, well-written and timely post, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Yes, yes yes. Oh, the lessons He teaches us...

    ReplyDelete