Monday, November 3, 2014

six going on sixteen.

This post was written on Saturday afternoon - only just getting around to posting it.

Hi, my name is Liza.

I'm twenty years old.

I was born and raised in Virginia, with a mama from South Carolina and a daddy who was raised a navy brat. So mostly Southern, and all-American.

When I was thirteen, I wanted be married before I was twenty (didn't matter how old, just still a teenager), and have a child a year till I was like forty. I've always wanted twenty kids...always. So, in a way, my life looks *nothing* like I sort of dreamed it would.

And yet...in a funny way, it's above and beyond anything I really dreamed about as a naive, visionary thirteen year old.

Right now, I live in Colorado.

I have six children, with ten on the way.

I'm parenting these kids with five other incredible people. None of us are married (to each other or otherwise), yet we function as a family unit. And we only have our children for ten months. Because the truth is, they aren't our children, and never have been, and never will be. They belong to Jesus, and this is just our precious season of getting to care for and serve them.

The amount of responsibility I have is beyond anything I've experienced before as an older sister, swim coach, teacher or stage manager. My life is that of a mama, basically on duty 24/7, from children up till children down (and in-between!), with all the joys and struggles that come with having children from difficult backgrounds learning to grow and trust and love you. Waking up every morning with a clean slate, fresh attitude, renewed heart.

I'm learning to see the big picture. Little victories - a smile, a hug, a laugh, a tear, a "Thank You", mean so much - way more than I ever realized. I'm learning to see beyond behavior and see heart. Look beyond attitude and see soul. Look beyond a past and see a child. A life. A princess. A prince. A soul that Jesus is jealous for. The potential for world-shattering faith and confidence in each of their faces - and a burning desire to see those eyes on fire for their King.

Every day, it's a fresh chance to be Jesus to these kids - to let the Spirit flow through me and reveal Truth to them...the only Truth that can set them free.

I love watching them experience firsts - going down a water slide, floating with a pool noodle, learning to ride bikes, loosing teeth, growing up in so many ways physically and emotionally, and gaining confidence.


I'm Liza. I'm twenty years old.

My life looks nothing like I thought it would, and yet it's beyond anything I ever could've dreamed.

Nothing is impossible with God.

5 comments:

  1. This post just confirms that Jesus is doing all that I (and probably so many others) are praying for the HLF staff/kiddos this year. :) How good He is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOLD YOU SO!

    Sorry. Just couldn't resist. :D

    Seriously though, it's incredible to watch God fulfilling the every desire you surrendered to HIM.

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Liza,
    The Lord is working so powerfully through you and HIS most beautiful, precious HLF kiddos. All praise and glory to our Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful. It makes me want to come "mama" with you.

    ReplyDelete