Thursday, September 23, 2010

Heart of Courage

Heart of Courage by Lois Walfrid Johnson

I forgot how good this book was until I read it again yesterday so I could write a good review :) This could be my favorite.

Bree has forfeited her freedom so Keely and Lil could return home with Devin. Devin does manage to arrange an agreement with Mikkel though. If Devin returns to the fjord after taking Keely and Lil home, and he and Bree accompany Mikkel on his big adventure trip he has planned, both of them will be free forever.

Both O'Tooles struggle with their desire to trust Mikkel, but their knowledge that he isn't most trustworthy young man. Devin has shared a secret with Bree about the Mikkel that he learned on his first trip home, and with this heavy knowledge over them, they find it hard to believe anything Mikkel says.

Mikkel, on the other hand, seems to be trying to earn their trust. Every now and then, he seems to be friendly, but then other times he'll be cold and quiet. His secret is still bothering him, even more now than ever as it comes closer and closer to being discovered. Also, he's still struggling with his faith. He knows the Christian God is more powerful and his friend and leader Leif Ericksson believes in him, but Mikkel is still having hard time submitting to any kind of authority.

Devin does return, and the fleet of Viking ships set to on their voyage to meet the king of all the Vikings. It's the start of an amazing journey, that takes Bree and Devin all the way to...well, that's really for the next book ;)

During the story, Mikkel's life is put in danger many times. Despite their original hate for their captor, Bree and Devin feel almost protective of him and are constantly watching his back. The mystery around this particular danger is a thread that courses through both Heart of Courage and it's sequel: The Raider's Promise.

I know I didn't really say much, but this is one book that I don't want to spoil for you. Trust me, it's *really* good!

Jo's Ratings:


Strength of Characters: *****

  • Feelings are changing....the predictable yet not-so-predictable ending is in sight, though just around a bend. Hate is being released, friendship is trying to open its flower but coldness and doubt threaten to freeze it. Complex!
Strength of Plot: *****

Overall Rating: *****


4 comments:

  1. hm...sounds like a series I should borrow from the library! :) I've heard of them before, but now I know how good they are! :) And I like the new look! :D
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want them sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having a giveaway at my blog!
    www.asimplefarmgirl.blogspot.com!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read some of Mrs. Johnson's books and really enjoyed them. Perhaps I'll look these up at the library when there is a lul in school. :-)

    About the giveaway...That is a great idea! I'd love to supply you with something to giveaway!
    1. What do you want? For example, necklace, bracelet, earrings, or more than one?

    2. Do I send it to you? or do you give me the address?

    Thanks so much!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete