Friday, November 12, 2010

A Song of Thanksgiving #15

Today I am thankful for Shabbat.
For those of y'all not acquainted with Shabbat, this is the traditional Jewish sabbath as commanded by God in the Bible. While we don't do exactly the same way as most people, it still very symbolic for us.

On Friday nights, we set the table with our "Shabbat tablecloth" and silver and candles. Often we'll make a "fancier" supper than normal. Mama says the blessing over the candles and we all belt out the "Shabbat Shalom" song as the blessing over the meal. It's so sweet to watch Gogo singing with all his might and watching Zu's eyes get big as she stares at the candles!
Often, after supper, Dad will say a blessing over each of us children. Some nights he'll do a blessing or prayer over all of us together.

Friday night is also our family movie or game night (movie more often than not). Tonight, I'm pretty sure we're watching a Little House episode or two (Leia gave Titty the first two seasons for her birthday).

This is the funny thing: Saturday is NOT our sabbath. :D We work just the same as on other days of the week and treat it like a weekday. SUNDAY is our sabbath. Odd, yes, but it felt even odder to celebrate SHABBAT on SATURDAY night. Just something weird about that.

Shabbat Shalom!

p.s. We are NOT Jewish.

p.p.s. I've noticed that my posts are showing up in Blogger Dashboards anymore. Anyone know why?

6 comments:

  1. I've noticed that! This afternoon I was doing Biology and (well, um, fell asleep:/) and when I woke up saw it was 3:55. Great! Jo was still on for 5 more minutes:) So I checked my dashboard and there was not post...so I stopped by your blog and there it was!

    I don't know if this is will help but you could check under settings;site feed and make sure everything is going good there.

    You know about my personal frustration with *my* blog feeds so I feel your pain:) If all else fails try stop following and then re-following your blog. Or just wait it out and see if it passes...sometimes weird things like that will pass.

    Love ya!
    nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly Blogger knows you're too popular and is getting jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, three of your post just showed up on my dashboard!!! Glad to see you've got it fixed:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jo! I don't know if your posts are showing up in my dashboard area (I always forget to check it) but they *are* showing up on my sidebar...don't know if that helps at all? :) Talk to you later! ~Rach

    ReplyDelete