Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Song of Thanksgiving #8

music

I cannot imagine a world without music, and I'm so thankful that God didn't require us to feel what it's like :D

It would be easy to say, "Music is modern, and loud instruments are sacrilegious." Sorry, Charlie. What book of the Bible has the most chapters? Psalms. Who were the psalms written by? King David. (yes, and Asaph and Anon.) David lived a long time ago and he wrote about music *all the time*.
God loves music. He commands us to sing as a way to praise Him in Psalm 150

Psalm 150

 1 Praise the LORD.   Praise God in his sanctuary;
   praise him in his mighty heavens. 
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
   praise him for his surpassing greatness. 
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
   praise him with the harp and lyre, 
4 praise him with timbrel and dancing,
   praise him with the strings and pipe, 
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
   praise him with resounding cymbals.

 6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
   Praise the LORD.


My favorite part of a worship service is the singing. That's when I feel that I can praise God the very best, doing something that means so much to me. (same goes for sign language)


But, I'll be honest, and admit that I don't only love praise music :D God has gifted so many people on this earth with composing, singing and performing abilities and I love to listen to the diversity of music! (yes, there are some not-so-great non-Christian artists out there, but it's kind of understood that I'm not advocating those, ¿verdad?)


I may have mentioned before on this blog that I play piano. Have I? Well, I love to play and the way I feel as I play makes me glad to be alive. I play when I'm mad and take it out on the poor thing, but it helps me feel better. I play when I'm happy and I come away feeling stupendous. I play when I'm sad, and it comforts me. God didn't give us music for no reason. He knows how it can help folks.


Have you heard the song "Think of Me"? How wistful does that song make you feel? Or "Here I am to Worship"? Does that make anyone else cry? "Singin' in the Rain"? Anyone own tap shoes? I want lessons! :D Music can make us feel so many different emotions, even if we only hear a measure or two.


This post sounds very deep and I meant it to be, but do remember that this is the girl whose playlist starts with the Little House theme and Singin' in the Rain, makes its way through Phantom of the Opera and Star Wars and then has a middle section of Sesame Street, Veggie Tales and Disney *blush* and then ends with old music. I even have a whole separate playlist for patriotic music. I *told* you I liked diversity! Seriously, can you POSSIBLY listen to "Rubber Duckie, you're the one who makes bathtime lots of fun! Rubber Duckie, I'm awfully fond of you!" without a smile? Music makes me laugh! 


I am so thankful for music.


This is also a chance to say how much I appreciate my music teacher, Mrs. P! She's not only my teacher, but my friend as well. The 10+ years I've spent under her have been magnificent, and instilled in me a love for music that I may not otherwise have had. Thank you so much!!!


{{Abrazos}}

1 comment:

  1. "Without music, my life would be a blank." ~ Mrs. Elton from "Emma"

    There is absolutely nothing in the world like music to move you to tears, lift you up, make you want to laugh, comfort a hurting soul, make you want to shout for joy...absolutely nothing like music (and take it a step further...like singing) in the whole world.

    And "Think of Me" is one of my warm-up songs for voice, so I have it constantly on the brain. :-P

    ReplyDelete