Tuesday, March 1, 2011

the "selfish" song

On Sunday night, Mama needed a school project done by a technically capable person. Who does she normally ask? Jo. I was getting ready to head upstairs to help Leia clean our bathroom - which I was so eager to do that I turned down the job Mama had for me. NOT. The job she had for me was downloading 260 World War II songs from VI Corps Music. That was a job I could NEVER turn down.

So, for almost an hour, I downloaded the songs into our iTunes library. I set the download settings to "open safe files upon downloading" so I got hear a little snatch of each song as it came in. It was worth the hour. 

I tried to embed the playlist into this post, but it didn't work. However, if you want to hear the best selection of WWII/1940s music around - visit THIS SITE.

I burned a CD of about 18 of the best songs to listen to on the way into town on Monday. The CD made for a great car ride :D

But, after we got home that night, Peter had a question:

"Jo?"
"Yes?"
"One of those songs we listened to today was very selfish."
"Really? How come?"
"Well, the guy was singing, 'Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but ME.' That's very selfish. Why didn't he want anyone else to sit under the tree?"
"Don't worry about it, bud. I know it sounds selfish, but it's different than you think. You'll understand when you get older."
*chuckle*
Don't sit under the apple tree
With anyone else but me
Anyone else but me
Anyone else but me
No! No! No!
Don't sit under the apple tree
With anyone else but me
Till I come marching home

Just a taste of the treat you're in for at the IV Corps website :D There's a great version of "When You Wish Upon a Star" on there too....and "Over the Rainbow"....and "The Wild Blue Yonder" (yeah, Nana)..."As Time Goes By"....and MANY more!!!!

p.s. And, on second thought, that song really is rather selfish. I agree with you, Peter :D Of course, it's the good kind of selfish :P (if there is such a thing)

16 comments:

  1. Did I say anything about a song and a color known to some as azul?

    Aw, that's cute...it's interesting (and also kinda scary) how much the little guys pick up on and interpret things. They are constantly surprising me with the their movie questions:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of many guys that would get worried over a song being selfish! Sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song....its so sweet. I just hope the girl didn't sit with anyone else while he was gone....it needs an ending :)
    ~Leia

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh...but that would be an interesting ending. She sits with someone else, and then he gets jealous, etc....

    ReplyDelete
  5. {Leia and Gab} - Okay, I'll post the full lyrics if you want the ending :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. {Nana} - The return of the Wild Blue Yonder!!! HOO-rah! (only that's the army cheer - not the air force :P)

    ReplyDelete
  7. peerrrfffeeeecccctttt.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, Jo...poor guy...I guess a lot of songs must sound selfish then. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. With full force the Wild Blue Yonder returns, storming through the minds of innocent civilians creating turmoil wherever it roams. Will the daring Jo March being to survive this attack? Or will she be added to the numbers of those who have fallen to it's devices? Tune in next week for the next installment of The Wild Blue Yonder!

    ♪♫Flying above the wild blue yonder...♫♪

    (obviously, staying up to 1am does not agree with my sanity...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's song is really cute, I must say :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just heard that song in the movie "Twelve O'clock High" starring Gregory Peck. It's a great movie if you're still watching WWII movies. It sparked some interesting conversations on leadeship techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww!!! That's so cute and funny! You wouldn't think that kids would be listening so closely, but they do! They constantly surprise me.
    On a side note (this has absolutely NOTHING to do with your post) Do you (or anyone) know what Emily's (the one on your side bar) blog address is now? I used to read it to hear about how she doing with her cancer and what-not, but can't find it now.

    ~Abby♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, just now I realized that you have an Emily Bear piece on your playlist!!!! Who introduced you to her?

    P.S. She sells her songbooks on her website, if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  14. {Nana} - Yikes! I'd better survive this attack .... or else! *eep!* I'd better fly off with one terrible roar then before I get captured :P

    {Polly} - Mama just looked that movie up this weekend and I think that Leia and I will be watching it soon. She thinks it's too intense for the Littles.

    {Abigail} - No, I don't know where Emily went. None of her links are still up, I think she just closed everything down.

    {Trini} - Oh, I've known about Emily for ages - ever since she was on TV years ago. (I didn't see ON tv, just heard about it that week and saw it on YouTube) I'd love to get one of her song books sometime :) I know you like her a bunch :D

    ReplyDelete