Friday, March 4, 2011

"thoughts of spring" blog party

hosted by Lynette Kraft at Dancing Barefoot


A little about yours truly:


I'm the oldest of a relatively large family (two parents, eight children on earth - counting myself - and two waiting in heaven as well as two Great Pyrenees and one crazy black cat). I've been homeschooled since 1st grade and I love it!!!! Currently, I'm in the 11th grade and in my second semester of a Spanish class at our local community college. I LOVE to play piano - I could live on the instrument :) Well....probably. Anyway. I also love taking long walks outside, watching old movies, listening to old music, reading anything I get my hands on, dressing up, swinging on the playset with my little brother, goofing off with whoever will join me, dancing, blogging, listening to soundtracks (read: Phantom of the Opera, The Princess Bride, The Sound of Music) my two Great Pyrenees and anything blue. I'm can get a little silly sometimes, but I do know when to stop - although it's difficult. (to quote Anne Shirley)


How would people describe your personality? (If they could only use ONE word.) Are they right?
Unique. That pretty much sums everything up......or maybe Bizarre would be better :P

What celebrity/celebrities would create a “Star-Struck” feeling if you saw them in real life?

Julie Andrews! Not sure why, but I know I'd feel a little awed. There are others, but I'm too embarrassed to admit them :P

Who is your favorite blogger? Why?

This is a hard decision. But for the sake of this party, I will say that either Nana@By The Way or PolkaDot@(life is too short not to) wear red shoes

What is your comfort food/drink?

Food - Macaroni and Cheese. 
Drink - hot chocolate.

Be brave – tell us something very random and weird about yourself.

*deep breath* I love T-shirts with writing on them. :) School logos, funny sayings, political gags, etc. (as long as they're clean :P) I wish I could get a T-shirt from every place I visit :D


File:Concepción from Maderas (landscape).jpg
Do you have a strong desire to do something you’ve never done? What is it?

I really, really, really want to go on a mission trip to a Spanish-speaking country. We have missionary friends in Nicaragua and Bolivia, so those are possibilities.

Movies: Action, Drama, Romantic Comedy, Documentary, Comedy? What are your favorite genres?

Drama, Romantic Comedy and Comedy. I don't see Musical on here - but those tend to fall under Drama, Romantic Comedy or Comedy anyway. I love the costumes, the acting, the stories, the music, the dialogue of drama in general! 


Books: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Romance, Biographies, True Stories, Self-Help, Devotional/Study? What are your favorite types of reading material?
Fiction (especially Historical Fiction) and Romance probably. I do like Romantic True Stories as well :) Right now I'm back hooked on the Betsy-Tacy series and the Melendy Quartet series. If y'all haven't read either of those series - you should! Take this recommendation from Jo March. I *should* know what I'm talking about it....right?

Music: Funk, Rock, Country, Jazz, Classical, Film Score, Blues, Classic Rock, Crooner, Alternative, Heavy Metal, Techno? What are your favorite types?

FILM SCORES!!!!!!!!! That wins by far. Classical and 40s Music (which really should be its own category) come right after that. I do like Jazz too....

If you inherited a million dollars, what is the first thing you would do with your money?

Buy all the books and movies that I've been wanting for a long time and complete my collections. Then I would buy things to put in my hope chest (a china set, tableclothes, napkins, etc.) and then take a trip to Europe to calm down after all the shopping I'd just completed. :D

Name one weakness of yours (confession is good for the soul).

I manage to use a movie quote, allude to a movie or at least *think* about a movie during nearly every conversation I have. It's not my fault really, it's the fault of all those wonderful screen-writers who write all these great lines for people to QUOTE!!!! Also, pretty much everyone I meet reminds me of *someone* I've seen in a movie. :)
File:Christiansted, US Virgin Islands, from Recovery Hill.jpgIf you could live anywhere at all (and take all your loved ones with you), where would you go?
St. Croix!!!! And since most of my loved ones want to live there too, there shouldn't be any conflict :)

Strange Talent? Can you juggle basketballs, put your legs behind your head or perform some other strange feat?

I can curl my tongue! LOL. It took me years of standing in front of the bathroom mirror with my fingers in my mouth to figure it out - I am kinda proud of it :)

What’s something you consider yourself to be good at? (Don’t worry, it’s not bragging, it’s acknowledging a God given gift).

I would probably say that playing piano is a gift of mine. I know many others my age who play better than I do (thinking of two in particular...) but I do believe that music is a strong point with me. I also learn languages pretty quickly and I'm really good at burning myself in the kitchen. (just got myself another doozy this morning - still hurts.)
Friedchickenbreast.jpg
What is one of your favorite things to catch a whiff of? 

FRIED CHICKEN!!!! What else can I say? I live in the South. :)

When you leave a social gathering, do you wish: You would have talked more or You would have talked less? 

Depends on the gathering. Normally, though, I wish I'd talked less. But more and more I'm finding myself listening to others and the talking-people's-heads-off problem is receding...most of the time. *wink*

If money wasn’t a factor, what stores would you shop in?

For clothes - Lands' End, Chadwicks, and Jones New York would be the top two - L.L. Bean close behind.
For bedroom furniture, sheets, etc. - Pottery Barn

What is your greatest fear or strange phobia?

You'll wish you'd never asked this! *chuckle* Erythrophobia, Koumpounophobia, Chorophobia, the famous Arachibutyrophobia, and Anthropophobia all bother me daily. *giggle* Your homework? Look them up! (and if you're worried about me, don't. I don't actually suffer from any of these :P)

What is your greatest accomplishment?

To date, it's either getting an A in my college Spanish 101 class last fall, getting the Honorable Mention at the piano competition recently or conquering an emotion of mine recently (until it came back so now it's no longer an accomplishment :P)

What are your favorite animals?

I love dogs. And horses. And cats. Oh, and squirrels! 

Are you a hopeless romantic?

*blush* Yes....pretty much. But not "hopeless" - more like "hopeful"...but I do have a weakness for pretty much *anything* that is romantic: books, styles, songs, movies, etc.


What movie or book character can you most relate to?
Well, I really identify with Jo March from Little Women (didn't see that coming, did you? :P) but I also have caught myself comparing myself to Betsy Ray (Betsy-Tacy series - later books), Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House books) Margaret Hale (North and South), Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice), and Anne Shirley (Anne of Green Gables).


That was so fun! Thanks for hosting this Lynette! If you haven't done this already (many of you have - my dashboard has been full of "green" posts all day!) then head on over and check it out!

13 comments:

  1. So great to meet you!

    I was a interpreter for the deaf at our church when I was your age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jo, I could tell that this was you through and through! I love your sense of humor, the fact that you're taking Spanish ('tis a wonderful language to learn, ¿verdad? :), and the fact that you are fearfully and wonderfully Southern. We must be kindred spirits, dear. :)

    Love ya!

    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Jo...so you said everyone reminds you of someone in a movie. Could you tell me who I remind you of? I'd love to know! :P

    Yes, I have that strange talent too...I happen to be the only one (I think) or at least one of the only ones in my family that can curl and completely flip my tongue over. ;)

    And no, I've never heard of arachibutyrophobia. But that's very good to know...might have to try that excuse someday.


    ~Vivi~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it!! Especially the Charlie Brown reference :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, this was fun to read. :) I can totally relate to Jo March too...not all the time, but I have my moments.
    Ohh! Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth...too funny. My English teacher loves word roots, and my sister showed him that word once. It was hilarious...I don't think he could figure it out. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. So do I remind you of a movie character? Which one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Love your list of fears:D (I will admit that I had to Google them all.)

    Isn't it awful automatically linking people to movie characters? I do that all. the. time. It's really bad when someone looks like someone from a movie who wasn't so nice:) What us movie lovers suffer... So, out of curiosity (and since everyone else asked) what character do I remind you of?

    Hugs!
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from Lynnette's! When I saw the name "Jo March" in the list of blogs that were linked up, I HAD to click on yours! When I was about 10, I read Little Women a bazillion times. It's one of my favorite books ever!

    I am a mac and cheese lover (homemade) but my kids hate it! Seriously??? Something is wrong here!

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I'm late, story of my life - though at times I have been much better about it. :)

    Careful burning yourself, girl! I mean, be careful not to do it. Though I should talk, I've been burning myself very frequently lately on our woodstove. The good news is, our house is pretty chilly so it rarely really hurts. Not to mention I sure yank away in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to come back and meet you more. Your little siblings-and you-are all adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. {Heather} - That's so cool!!! I don't get to "meet" many interpreters on the blog world! :)

    {Lizzy} - Absolutely kindred spirits!!!! You're a fun friend to have, and I think it's so fun that you know just about as well as some of my real life friends (except you don't get to see my weird facial expressions - only imagine them :P)

    {Vivi} - I'm sure Mrs. G would fall for it - word-lover that she is :P Try it some time.....

    {Jocee} - Charlie Brown is great! A strip for every occasion....

    {Jennoelle} - Thanks for stopping by! I love your name, BTW :D

    {Polly} - I'm planning on doing a post all about it, so you'll just have to wait *wink*

    {Nana} - Great minds think alike! You and I could probably have a movie quote conversation if we tried :) Or, just walk around a mall or something quoting movies about everything we see :P "What was you sniggering at?!?!"

    {Coby} - Haha!!! It's nice knowing that my name is attracting attention :P I've read Little Women countless times myself :)

    {TW} - Oh, don't I know! I'm not a clumsy person, but in the kitchen, I burn myself. End of story. *nervous chuckle*

    {Amy} - Thank you for coming back! I LOVE LOVE LOVE meeting new people! I'm a very sociable person :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Probably? Definitely! Next time we get together we'll have to give it a go:) Which we should do soon...hmm...let me think. My wandering parakeets (aka. parents...that's a movie quote by the way. Ruth Hussie as Liz in Philadelphia Story a movie starring all the great actors of the 50's...minus Humphrey Bogart:) are going to be roaming the earth for the next few months (several different trips between now and April) but we should try to get together before Winnie's born. It's funny because July sounds like a long time away but it really isn't...time flies way too fast:/

    Love you, great-mind-thinker-aliker (????).

    ReplyDelete