Monday, April 11, 2011

easter parade (1948)

File:Easter Parade poster.jpg
Easter Parade (1948)
Starring: Fred Astaire, Judy Garland, Ann Miller, Peter Lawford

As y'all know, I have a weakness for old romantic movies that others think are boring and pointless. Maybe they're right...but I still love 'em :)

Today's review is on Irving Berlin's musical Easter Parade. Unlike the other old movies I've seen recently, this was not about World War II :) (thank goodness!) It takes place in 1912 and does not mention any historical facts or anything like that. *sigh* A nice breather :) It covers a time span of one year in the life of a dancer named Don Hewes (Astaire), his former dancing partner Nadine (Miller), his *new* dancing partner Hannah Brown (Garland) and his friend Johnny or "the Professor" (Lawford).

This film is unique in that is the only film that Fred Astaire and Judy Garland made together. They were beautiful together! Here are some pictures to help me explain:


Hannah Brown (Judy Garland) sings "It Only Happens When I Dance With You"
Her version was *much* better than Don and Nadine's :)


"a couple o' swells"
Haha! Gotta love this number - it's the most famous song in the show


The Wizard of Oz was one of the first movies I ever saw as a child and since then I've always loved Judy Garland. She shone in this film - I loved her clothes, her spirit, her liveliness. Too bad her personal life was such a mess....but we don't have to dwell on that :D Although this film was originally in black and white, we saw it in Techincolor. I wish I'd seen it black and white (I LOVE B&W movies!!!) but it did make the costumes look quite stunning. I really loved all of Hannah's outfits - whether costumes or "normal" clothes. My wardrobe may be changing in the next few weeks... :P


*tsk tsk* I would've liked this film more if Don hadn't been in love Nadine at all....it makes him look kinda lame, to be so "in love" with one girl and then switch to another


Poor Johnny - he took Hannah's gentle honest statement with true gentlemanlyness :) I loved his umbrella song - very sweet :)


LOL - I wonder, given the situation, would I have done the same thing? Y'all know me well enough - I probably would :P


 François - the waiter at "the restaurant" - hilariously played by Jules Munshin (Take Me Out To The Ballgame) I'm going to try to make his salad sometime - anyone want to taste-test for me?

Things to watch out for:

  • Two kisses - one at the very beginning that I *do not* like because I don't like Nadine and it makes Don look bad; and one towards the end that is rather sweet and I pretend that it's only kiss in the whole movie :D (sorry, that's classic Jo for ya - I love changing movies to fit *my* idea of how things "should" be)
  • Nadine sings a really awful song in the Ziegfield Follies show about halfway through the movie and she's wearing a really skimpy outfit. Recommended to skip. (Titty and I did.) 
  • Oh, when Don first sees Hannah, she's singing with a group of chorus girls. Enough said. Not bad, just be aware.
  • Nadine (*again*) sings another song at the end of the movie that is just weird. Nothing wrong about it, it's just looooong....
And that's it! NOTHING like This Is The Army *rolls eyes*. We only skipped that one song, everything else was fine. Of course, you're welcome to skip anything with Nadine in it if you want :D

And now we'll end with a song, since songs are the best way to end everything :)

File:EasterParade1948.jpg
"Easter Parade" by Irving Berlin
Never saw you look quite so pretty before
Never saw you dress quite so handsome - what's more

I could hardly wait to keep our date
This lovely Easter morning
And my heart beat fast as I came through the door
For...

In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it
You'll be the grandest fella in the Easter parade.
I'll be all in clover, and when they look us over
We'll be the proudest couple in the Easter parade.

On the avenue, Fifth Avenue,
The photographers will snap us
And you'll find that you're in the rotogravure.
Oh, I could write a sonnet, about your Easter bonnet
And of the guy I'm taking to the Easter Parade.

On the avenue, Fifth Avenue,
The photographers will snap us
And you'll find that you're in the rotogravure.

Oh, I could write a sonnet
About your Easter bonnet
And of the girl I'm taking to the Easter Parade.

5 comments:

  1. ahhh, don't ya just love the 40's? I've been listening to 40's music like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think you like Judy Garland and Fred Astaire together wait until you see a Fred and Ginger movie. You will fall in love with them and hate yourself for ever liking *that* actress with Fred Astaire. :) Okay, so I really don't like Judy Garland (yes, because of her personal life...I really did try liking her anyway but I just can't help thinking of poor Mrs. Spencer Tracy...I have given up on looking into actors personal lives because it's ruined so many wonderful movies for me (think Philadelphia Story)...moving on...).

    Fred and Ginger are like salt and pepper. They just go together. You never hear of pepper and cinnamon. :P

    Anyway, I've heard a lot of stuff about this movie but I don't think I've ever seen it. I think we do it own it though...no, wait, maybe it's In the Good Old Summertime that I'm thinking of. Mom might know.

    Have you seen Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire? We *love* that movie (one of our Christmas favorites). Bing Crosby sings Easter Parade to Marjorie Reynolds. Kinda funny since Fred Astaire's in both. :)

    You have inspired me to write a post on Fred and Ginger. They are right up there with Anne and Gilbert or Rick and Ilsa when it comes to couples.

    Love ya!
    Näna

    p.s. I love the fact that you love old romantic movies as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Judy Garland too, and I have not looked into her personal life because I know that that would absolutely ruin her for me.
    The Wizard of Oz is fine, but my favorite movie I've seen her in is Meet Me in St. Louis, hands down.

    This movie sounds cute, and makes me think of one I saw recently, called Royal Wedding. It has Fred Astaire and Jane Powell (Millie in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers). It was really fun to see Jane Powell in a totally different character from Millie.

    Hugs!
    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  4. {Nana} - Looks like I know what we're watching next time we're in Wachter World :P *hehe* I haven't seen any Fred and Ginger (except some excerpts in That's Entertainment). Guess I'm behind the times :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...well, we'll just have to take care of that next time you come up, won't we? Frozen fruit and a good Fred and Ginger. :) Speaking of which, we should really get together before Winnie's born...do you realize that in a few weeks it will be May 15th when we met for the first time?!? Maybe we should try to get together the weekend of the 15th? Hmm...

    Hugs,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete