Sunday, May 1, 2011

utterly en-Tangled

song in my head: "prima donna" from phantom of the opera

Tangled (2010)
Starring:
Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, Donna Murphy

This was a real treat to find! We haven't seen a "new" Disney movie in *years* (unless you count Narnia), we've just stuck to the old classics. But we heard so many good reviews on this, that we decided to give it try. I'm glad we did, 'cause we were all pleasantly surprised.

We saw Tangled and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader on the same weekend. Afterwards, I had to admit, I liked the former better. Why? The script.

Tangled has amazing dialogue! I could tell it was good because Dad liked it - more than he'd care to admit, actually. *chuckle* Tangled quotes have become part of normal conversation around here - I'll give you a few examples in a minute :) Every line had been carefully planned out, even the song lyrics are well done! Of course, that is a pro of animated movies - the lines aren't dependent on the actors very much. Just re-record a line if it didn't turn out so well.

The animation was stunning - luscious is the word that came to mind. The grass was *so* green, the sky was *so* blue, the flowers were so rich, Pascal was *so* green.... :P It was a treat. A real treat.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like Flynn just a *little* bit. Okay, more than a little bit. He's really awesome. (sorry if that's not very descriptive, but I really like the word "awesome") I like him because he's human. He's not perfect. He's not a prince. He's got whit. What touched me was his "backstory". It was short - he was a poor kid with nothing, younger siblings to watch out for, and who imagined a better life for himself and made it happen. He appears to have his life together. But he doesn't. Rapunzel's gentle questioning reveals that the dashing Flynn Rider is far from "secure". That's when Eugene Fitzherbert comes into play....right? :P


Eugene and Rapunzel are my favorite couple from any animated film, joining Belle and the Beast, Phillip and Aurora, Roger and Anita, Carl and Ellie, and Duchess and Thomas O'Malley as my favorite animated couples ever :D Good for them, right? It's hard to beat the Fredricksons :)

Favorite shots and snips from the film:

"...men with pointy teeth..."
"I have made the decision to trust you -"
"A horrible decision really."

"I hope you're here to apologize."

"...on your own, you won't survive...."
Ah, Mother Gothel. Convincingly good yet wickedly evil. I don't feel sorry for her when she falls from the tower (which was rather melodramatic, IMHO)
She reminds me of Willoughy from the 2008 Sense and Sensibility. Not sure why....maybe it's the hair :)

Pros: To add to what I've already mentioned - Pascal. Love, love, LOVE Pascal! He's decorating my desktop right now :)
I also love the dance scene in the square in the kingdom. (I believe it's called "Kingdom Dance" on the soundtrack) Rapunzel is so lively and you can already see what a wonderful princess she's going to make in the way she leads the townspeople in their celebration. Gotta love Maximus teasing Flynn in this scene...like two brothers. 

A few cons: Flynn goes off on a little tangent about how breaking mother's hearts is part of growing up and that's not exactly the message we want to be getting across to children, is it? No, I didn't think so. Also, two kisses. Mother Gothel's death scene is a little disturbing - she's quite a hag at the end of it. Eugene's death is sad (I had tears in my eyes - even I *knew* he wasn't really dead...well, I was pretty sure....). The thugs are a little intimidating, but the "violence" that got this movie rated PG is nothing to worry about. It's more tension...and not much of that either :)

Jo's Ratings:
Strength of Characters: *****
Strength of Plot: *****


Overall Rating: *****

"....all at once, everything looks different/now that I see you..."
I'm very tempted to give you more quotes, more pictures - but I will resist :) Watch it yourself if you haven't already.

Those of y'all who have seen Tangled: it's your turn! What did you like about it? What did you dislike? What did you think of the script, plot, character development, etc?

12 comments:

  1. It was somewhat disappointing to me, actually. Way too scary for little kids. My little brother (almost 2 at the time) started crying from the movie, and he basically never cries over movies. Too intense, dramatic, and scary. And the whole magic flower thing. It was also like the kingdom almost worships the sun with all the pictures they have of it everywhere. Kind of like a pagan religion. But, the animation is pretty good, and there are a few funny parts, but overall, I would probably not recommend it.

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with you Jo!!!! =) I LOVED this movie! The music/songs were *very* good, kind of reminded me of a musical, in a way. :) I also have to admit that Flynn was great!!! =D I could go on and on about how much I like this movie....but I won't. :P
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched it again Thursday night while Pa and Mom were on a date and, I must admit, that I like it way way way better then before. I think I'll write a re-review on my blog. :) Rapunzel is so sweet and pretty...don't you just love her ever chipper attitude? :)

    Ellie and Sam are CRAZY about Tangled! We were at the park the other day for a birthday party and me and another girl were pushing a bunch of kids on the merry-go-round and Sammy kept shouting, "BEST DAY EVER!!!". :D

    The frying pan might replace my current favorite weapon (light saber, of course :]). "Mama, I have got to get me one of these!"

    Love ya,
    Nan

    p.s. I replied to your email. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 words...Eugene Fitzherbert :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could rave about this movie forever! :P

    I have to say, the people they picked for all of the characters were perfect. Rapunzel had the sound of a disney princess (if you'll notice, all the princesses sound pretty similar....), Flynn Rider was the dashing...uhh...thief, and Mother Gothel was a perfect fake mother.

    We watched this movie (for some of us the 3rd time, for some of us the 3 and 1/2 time...) again on Saturday and were quoting lines from it all day yesterday. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pretty much loved everything about it. :) So fun to read a review from somebody else who liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this movie. "This is kind of an off day for me," so I have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Jo forgot to mention how much Zuzu LOVES this movie too! She has most of the soundtrack memorized, and goes around the house yelling "And at last I see the light!!!!"

    ~Leia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE TANGLED!!!!!!!!!!
    Have to agree with you about Flynn he's awesome!!!!!!!!!! And I love the song which mother Gothel sings Mother knows best :D
    mother Gothel was creepy at the end though wasn't she?
    I was sad at the end when he was ending as well. Gotta love the opening lines though: "This is the story of how I dies :D
    Love,
    Vellvin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this movie! I love Pascal and Maximus, and Flynn (Eugene) is soooo funny! However, I also didn't like the part where Flynn was telling Rapunzel that rebellion was good, or even healthy, part of growing up. Also, I think it is a bit scary for little kids, but around 6+ should be okay. Overall, I really like it!

    In Him Alone,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just have to say that I absolutely loved Tangled. The only part that bothered my family (read:Mom) was how Rapunzel called Gothel"mother" the entire movie.

    By the way, how come after all the posts when the song in your head was from Tangled, when you finally wrote the review you were thinking of Phantom???

    ReplyDelete
  12. We *finally* got to see this movie on Monday (Emilia got it out of the library). I loved it!! The animation was stunning, Flynn/Eugene made me laugh so much, and Rapunzel was just so purely and simply sweet. I agree with you on the whole "rebellion is a part of growing up" thing, though: that was the one part that kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. Other than that, I adored it. My siblings sing the songs around the house almost 24/7 now, and even Daddy said it was "very cute," which is a sure sign that it must be good. :) Altogether a very delightful film. I'm considering writing up a review for it for LOLL, but I don't know if that would fit within my blog's "theme"... your thoughts?

    Love ya!
    Elizabeth Rose

    P.S. "Frying pans! Who knew, right?" :P

    ReplyDelete