Thursday, June 2, 2011

taking the plunge

The black curtains quiver. The fans hold their breath. The curtains part and....ta da!!! Jo March emerges, ready to blog once more!

Okay, maybe that was a *little* dramatic, but I'm glad to be back blogging after a rather hectic week. My summer life pattern is falling into place, so time has once again availed itself for....less pressing things, such as blogging.

It is sooooo hard to believe that my junior year of highschool is just about two weeks away from being over. OVER. Done. Finished. And guess I'm going to be in August - a senior. Wow. Still not sure I like the sound of that, "junior" sounds cooler :D But I'm sure I'll love being a senior once I actually *am* one. :) Isn't it amazing how life just whizzes by??? I remember the day I started first grade. I even remember doing preschool and kindergarten at church. That was about thirteen years ago - which is a long time, if you were wondering. [image source]

Another summer development that will explain my blogging absence for the next *two months* is swim team. Yup, we're back! After a six year break (that was really great for our family life), we have returned to the world of strokes, sets, timers, chlorine, caps, meets, bathing suits, towels, lifeguards, championships and whistles. We're taking the plunge!
No man drowns if he perseveres in praying to God, and can swim. - Russian Proverb
Chlorine is my perfume. - author unknown
It's a good idea to begin at the bottom in everything except in learning to swim. - author unknown
What goes around comes around, just like a flip turn. - author unknown
When the earth floods from global warming, the swimmers will rule the world. - author unknown
Chlorine: the breakfast of champions! - author unknown
Seven days of no swimming makes one weak. - author unknown
And this one sums up my feelings about finally getting back in the water and being on a team for the first time since I was 10 years old:
H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. - author unknown
And yes, the modesty issue has come up (a reason we've waited so long to go back to swimming) and I'd be more than happy to share our solution with y'all if you'd like. (I'm a little crunched for time at the moment). [image source]

Practices have been pretty challenging so far. I *thought* I was in shape...but maybe I'm not so much :D It's been awesome, the exercise is amazing! It's still hard though. After practice yesterday, I climbed out the pool, turned to our friend and said, "Cheers!" He just looked at me and said, "What?" "I said, 'Cheers'. We made it." "Oh, yeah, really." *grin* The water is really warm right now, and we actually get sweaty in the water and if you're not hydrated or you overwork yourself, you could suffer from heat exhaustion. Yeah, dangerous :D We're glad to be alive. LOL

So......I hope to keep up blogging as much as possible this summer - I'd like interview some people here on Scraps as well as maybe have a few guest posters, we'll see how all that plays out. If you'd like to be featured/interviewed here, send me an email (you can find it on my FAQ page) so I know how many folks would like to do it.

*sigh* Life is soooo busy right now. Some days I sit back and think, "So *this* is why we stopped sports." *grin* But I'm lovin' it, don't worry :)

8 comments:

  1. I *love* swimming, but I don't think I would ever do it competitively. Swimming laps at the YMCA is good enough for me. :) However, I commend you for deciding to take the plunge (no pun intended :)) and get back into it.

    Oh yes, I'd love to hear about your solution to the modesty issue, since that is something I often struggle with. It's so hard to find modest swim suits that aren't super expensive. :(

    Love ya, dear!
    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Some of my favorites...

    Swimming: From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. From the inside looking out, you can’t explain it. - Author Unknown

    Oxygen is overrated. - Unknown

    Swimming - what real men do while boys play football. - Unknown

    I always wanted to be Peter Pan, the boy who never grows up. I can't fly, but swimming is the next best thing. It's harmony and balance. The water is my sky. ~Clayton Jones [ok, you know, this quote is CREEPY because years ago I wanted so much to fly and then realized my dream had come true but in a totally different way than I expected. I realized I could fly through water.)

    Breaststroke is an athletic event; butterfly is a political statement. ~Paul Tsongas

    It's been told that swimming is a wimp sport, but I don't see it. We don't get timeouts, in the middle of a race we can't stop and catch our breath, we can't roll on our stomachs and lie there, and we can't ask for a substitution. ~Dusty Hicks

    "With so many people saying it couldn't be done, all it takes is an imagination."
    - Michael Phelps

    And my all-time favorite that makes it onto my desktop background...
    "Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice in your head that yells 'CAN'T', but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear that voice whisper, "can" and you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are." - Unknown

    ^ THIS is swimming. It's that glorious feeling of realizing who you are after doing what you never thought you could. It's when you can hardly keep from crying 'cause you pushed through that anaerobic state of pain and sweat and lactic acid, and now finally you realize just how far you've come and WHO you are. It's when you slam into the wall and look at the clock, hot sweat mingling with chlorine as it trickles down from the inside of your cap. You can hardly breathe. You can hardly move. But you've defeated your former self.

    *sigh*...I could talk about swimming for *forever*.

    Yep, so....see you tomorrow? At FSBC? Did you talk with the coach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All you *ladies* out there who are looking for a modest swimsuit solution, not great for competitive swimming but for just regular swimming visit my blog and check out the swimsiut my sister made for herself. I make costum make them.
    http://throughthelookingglass4.blogspot.com/2011/05/modest-and-fun-swim-suit.html

    My email address isewlovedance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO happy for you! As you know, my sport is soccer, not swimming, but I can imagine how great I'd feel coming back after a long break.

    I'd love to hear the modesty solution. :)

    Sounds like you are in for a busy, fun summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record, that's the longest comment I've ever posted, so yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to hear your swimsuit solution! Mine was to just get a one piece with a rashguard. Still a little too showy (for me) but whatever. :P It'll do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love swimming! I actually don't do team, but use our neighborhood pool as often as possible. :)

    Oh, could you do a post on modest swim wear? I have a little trouble with that.

    I would love to be interviewed on Scraps, if your willing to have me. =)


    your fellow swimming-lover,
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for swim team! Mine starts on Monday, and boy am I excited! Those quotes totally made my day. :)

    ~Larkin

    ReplyDelete