Thursday, July 28, 2011

H-A-W-T

^^some high-school spelling for ya :) ^^

Yesterday was Coach Appreciation Day, which means that our swimmers brought us cards and *lots* of yummy things to eat :) It's nice to be appreciated. :)

All the coaches (head and junior) were going out to supper that evening at Wild Wings. Thanks to the generosity of swim team parents, we didn't have to pay for our food - thank you, thank you, thank you!

At the cafe, we sat up on the porch and pushed five rounds tables together so we could all be at the same table. We were quite an impressive looking group, taking up an entire side of the porch.

It took us a while to figure out how many wings and what kinds we should order. We went over and over the menu, I guess we have it memorized now :) First, we ordered three sets of 50 wings (150 total), in "sub-sets" of 10 or 20, depending on the flavor. Then, a few minutes later, once we'd done a little more math, David flagged our waitress and said, "After some thought and consideration we've decided that....we need 50 more." *grin* So that brought our total to 200. 200 wings for about 17 people, which is completely reasonable, since each person ate close to ten, and some of the guys ate more.....

We had a few really random conversations down at our end of the table. One of them was David telling us how he'd saved Nate's life one time when he was choking.

On a piece of ice.

That triggered a tangent on whether someone could actually choke on ice, or if it would melt first. Would you warm up the person's neck with your hands, trying to melt the ice? Caroline and I practiced on each other.

Let's just say I hope I never choke on ice.

And then we had a discussion on how to save someone from choking. We tried to imitate one of those really helpful videos that you watch in health class or babysitting certification or something like that.
The videos that tell you when, if someone's just coughing, not actually choking, you tell them "Keep coughing, keep coughing."

But of course on the videos, everyone's so calm, patting the other person gently on the shoulder, smiling patronizingly and saying in a soft voice, "It's alright, keep coughing." We decided that if someone was really that close to choking, we'd probably be a little more agitated and excited and would probably end up yelling "KEEP COUGHING!!!"

Maybe that's why we should watch the videos.

Whatever.

Anyway, moving on.....

Evidently, it's a tradition for first-year coaches to be "initiated" by eating the hottest wing on the menu - the "Braveheart". 

Oh yeah.

It was hot.

Very hot.

Most of the "junior" coaches who had to eat it just ate a bite or two. Leia ate three bites, Ben and I both ate a whole wing. The sauce was so hot it felt like my lips were on fire, I couldn't lick them or anything. The chicken itself wasn't hot, and the sting went away after a while. But I didn't cry, or sweat, or anything like that. Just drank a lot and kept a steady head. I couldn't eat for about five whole minutes though. As I'm sitting there, looking calm, Michael asks, "Why aren't you eating?"

"Ummm.....I can barely breath. I can't eat, drink, lick my lips, talk, anything. It's hot. H-A-W-T. Hot."

But that wasn't the end.

Dad brought cayenne peppers with him, just to see if anyone wanted to try them. BTW, they're the hottest peppers we grow in our garden.

We passed at first, just let them sit on the table and enjoyed the wings. But then, Ben, feeling pretty good about the Braveheart he'd just eaten, decided to go for it. I wish I had the videos Madi and Michael took of him eating the tip of that pepper. Priceless.

So of course, David, who'd been joking that he'd eat the pepper, couldn't be outdone by a fourteen year old. So he started eating one. That video is pretty great too - the change in facial expression is amazing.

See, these peppers spark a delayed reaction. You think you're doing great, it's not that hot, and then WHAM! Hands over your mouth, diving for something to drink (water doesn't help...neither does celery :D), saying "Oh. My. Goodness" over and over again, and "Man! that's HOT!". Ben looked pretty bad at first, said he felt like he was going to pass out. Our response, "Oh, Ben, *please* don't!" He didn't. :) He's a tough fella, and was the first to try both the Braveheart and the peppers. Brownie points for Ben!

So, since Michael was the only guy at our end of the table who hadn't eaten a bite of the pepper yet, the pressure was on. Jensen said she'd do if he did. JJ did really well, just finished off her drink in a hurry, and said she felt a little light headed :) Michael was surprised at the heat - it definitely got him. "If I had known how hot it was going to be, I wouldn't've eaten it!" Nor would I....but....

....since they were our peppers, and the Braveheart hadn't been that bad...I ate a few bites of the pepper David had.

 Ouch.

 Lightheaded-ness coming on, I just looked straight ahead. Sinuses *instantly* clear, and then a relatively-surprised exclamation as the heat set in. It was *so* hot. It felt like there was something tingling in the very back of my throat. I started coughing and coughing, trying to get rid of it. Then David reaches over, puts his hand gently on my shoulder and says in a very calm voice,

"Just keeping coughing. Keep coughing."

And the night went on....

It was so much fun, it's such a fantastic group of people. Lots of memories and stories from our warm evening on the outdoor porch of the wing cafe.

Definitely a rockin' Dolphin Time. :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Jo...you goofball!!! Honestly, I can't stand mildly spicy stuff. xD We had a Chinese student who ate a whole hot pepper so that he could get a free drink!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, goodness. You are brave. I don't even eat tomatoes cause I don't like them. But this story had me haw-hawing loudly, thanks to my imagination. :)

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a blast! I love your personality, Miss Jo March!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! I was cracking up the WHOLE time I was reading this! Sounds like something I and a few friends would do.... ;)
    *Abby*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Love this. Fun times.

    I so would have eaten it...and regretted it as soon as I did. :) While we're on the topic, aren't spicy foods awesome? Gotta love them.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete