Friday, August 12, 2011

key changes and transitions

I'm a musician. A pianist, more specifically. Key changes are something I live for in piano music (whether it means the epic transition from one glorious section of a work to the next...or just the desperate need to get out of D flat minor into something anything else is hard to say :D).

I just realized the other day when we were listening to the iPod, that most of my favorite song parts (yes, I have favorite songs and favorite *parts* of songs) are actually key changes or some kind of transition during the song. I decided to give you a few examples (the number in parentheses is where in the video the section starts):

"Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from The Lion King
the lovely key change (time 2:02)

"Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast
this is one of my favorite key change of *all time* (time: 2:58)


"Phantom of the Opera" from The Phantom of the Opera
another one of my favorite transitions - just for that little bit of the instrumental part between verses :D (time: 2:36)


"I See the Light" from Tangled
playing this key change on the piano makes me feel so....lovely :) (time: 1:48)


"Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera
this whole song is just incredible gorgeous, and the transition sends chills up my spine every time (time: 0:36)

I was planning on a putting a few more up, but Leia is *dying* to get on and can't seem to wait. So....I'll stop here. 

*sigh* So epic. I love my music :) 

5 comments:

  1. I know *exactly* what you mean! I too have pet parts of songs...and transitions...epic! Oh, listen to the intro on this song by Elton John. LOVE it. Even though it's so long I don't mind...'cause it's that beautiful. :)So getting the sheet music. Oh, before I forget here's the link: http://candoor.net/mp3/EltonJohn-TheGreatestDiscovery.mp3

    Gorgeous song. Gorgeous voice. Let me know what you think!

    Love ya, girlie!
    Näna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Db minor? Dang, girl! That's some serious key! I usually try to stay away from flat minor keys. And G# minor. That just kills me. Anywho, you should probably change to a Major key. And ohmygoshbubblesonpumpernickel the "I See the Light" key change is my most FAVORITE key change of ALL time!! So beautiful. So inspiring. It makes me cry. *sob*
    Great post, dear :))
    -Jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love transitions! (And I didn't even know what they were called--shows how much musical talent I posess :P) They add such power and emotion to songs. And don't consider yourself too strange for having favorite songs and favorite *parts* of songs; I'm just the same way. I'll even rewind the song a few seconds so I can hear my favorite transitions again... and again. :)

    Love you!
    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! I absolutely go nuts over key changes. And the instant I realized what this post was about I thought of the Phantom one. Best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the best music ever!!! :)

    ReplyDelete