Wednesday, August 31, 2011

when songs were simple

I learn songs *very* quickly. I only have to hear a song once to have it forever in my memory, twice to have most of the lyrics memorized, thrice to have it completely implanted. This is a quality of mine I enjoy...most of the time. Sometimes I don't always *want* to have a song memorized...but most of the time it's great fun. I'll hear a song in a store that I haven't heard for five years or more, and I can still sing it :) Also, it means that most of my childhood memories and memories now are tied to songs.

Other than little-kiddy folk songs, there are three songs that I can trace back to when I was four or five, songs my dad used to sing to me and my sisters when we were very small because the lyrics were very simple. One of them is "El Shaddai" by Michael Card. The second is "YMCA". *grin* The third is "There is A Reedemer" by Keith Green. Keith Green is considered the father of modern Christian music. Yes, he was a 70's "Jesus Freak", but there's nothing wrong with that :) Anyway, we sang "There is a Redeemer" at church on Sunday, and even though I've sung it *many* times over the years, it struck a special spot and I almost cried.

It's simple, yes. But sometimes a simple song can be the most profound.


When I stand in glory, I will see His face
And there I'll serve my King forever in that holy place

Thank you, Oh my Father
For giving us Your Son
And leaving Your Spirit till the work on earth is done.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Surprisingly enough, I have never heard this song before. Listening to it now, tears came to my eyes. Simple words, but such a deep meaning. I can relate so much to what you said about remembering songs. Even old songs I haven't heard for years; I hear it once more, and all the words come back. Of course, this does mean that my mind can be like an iPod on repeat sometimes, playing the same song over and over and over again. :)

    Love ya!
    Elizabeth Rose

    P.S. Did you get my e-mail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song. We sing it quite often. So simple and deep at the same time. Don't you just love the old hymns? As much as I love Contemporary Christian there is a beauty in the old hymns that can not be matched.

    Love ya lots!
    Nana

    ReplyDelete