Thursday, November 10, 2011

amazing grace


this is one of those movies that I don't think I've mentioned all that often, which is a little strange since it's one of my favorites. I can't count the times I've seen it....I actually watched it twice when Leia and I spent the week at our neighbor's farmhouse. *sheepish grin*

William Wilberforce. A man of God. A noble man. A man who knew right from wrong, and was willing to stand up for what he believed - even if no one else agreed with him.

"why don't you ask them?"
And his friend William Pitt the Younger, aspiring political activist who was determined to harness Wilberforce's passion to conquer the major social injustices of his day.

Oh, I watch Amazing Grace when I need to be inspired. When I need to reminded of what *we* can do in God's name to change the "unchangeable".

"do it, wilber."
Random Note: For some reason, I only like to watch it when the room is completely dark - and always at night. One of those snuggle-up-on-the-couch-with-a-blanket-and-do-school movies. 

Yes, the film does tackle a sobering topic, but what a glorious picture of men uniting for a common cause under God!
"Your life is a thread. It breaks, or it doesn't break."
It's a story about young people.
"No one of our age has ever taken power."
"Which is why we're too young to realize certain things are impossible. So we will do them anyway."
It makes me laugh. Often. Amazing Grace is very quotable - and the fact that everything is spoken with a British accent just makes it better. Say "patriotism" like so: "pat-tri-ah-ti-sum" and it sounds much more legit. :)

"Something for the...uh...war effort. Patriotism and all that."
"And since when have you been interested in the war effort, patriotism, and...all that?"
"Well....I'm not."
Love the "Jacobite"....good old Thomas Clarkson. Can't you see him in the barricade beside Enjolras? (sorry.....I'm still in Les Mis world :P)

It's a love story, too. I love how Barbara believed in Wilber, was always there to back him up. She inspired him to start his work again, she held him up through his battle to overcome his addiction to opium, she was a true helpmeet.
"Yes, he will have a fine voice like you!"
It makes me cry or tear up - either one without fail. Even if I've seen it ten times. Definitely chills up my spine at the final scene.

"Noblesse oblige."
"What the bl**dy h*ll does that mean?"
"It means my nobility obliges me to recognize the virtue of an exceptional commoner."
And I always come away ready to change the world somehow.
"Remember that God made men equal!"
I love that it's a true story about a real man who had a real idea and a real goal....and he really did it. He overcame all the odds. Granted, it took a long time, but he pulled it through.

 
"Because after night come day."

It took courage.
"I never change."
"Well, hurrah for you."

"God has set before me two great objects."
I *highly* recommend Amazing Grace. Just be aware that it is about the slave trade, and that isn't pretty. So maybe not suitable material for those under twelve or thirteen or so. Believe me, you will not wish back the two hours you spent watching this. In fact, the time will fly. It's a true story, it really happened, and with God, all things are possible.

"When people speak of great men, they think of men like Napoleon - men of violence. Rarely do they think of peaceful men. But contrast the reception they will receive when they return home from their battles. Napoleon will arrive in pomp and in power, a man who's achieved the very summit of earthly ambition. And yet his dreams will be haunted by the oppressions of war. William Wilberforce, however, will return to his family, lay his head on his pillow, and remember: the slave trade is no more."

3 comments:

  1. Great movie. I love the scotish bagpipes playing amazing grace,I did a song on my violin as similar as I could get it to sound more of a scottish/irsh bagpipe way. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all-time favorite movies. Wilberforce's story is amazing, and they did a good job with the movie.

    Something that really popped out at me last time was all the wit and quotables. I just read Eric Metaxas' biography of Wilberforce, and from what he said Wilberforce really was that fast on his toes when it came to witty dialogue.

    And Clarkson definitely belongs in the barricade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful review of a beautiful movie, Jo. Thank you for sharing this gem of a story with us! I have to agree on the crying part - I've seen Amazing Grace countless times, sometimes twice in a row, and yet I cry every time. Such a powerful story. And yes, the quotes are epic. I love that last one...

    -Larkin

    ReplyDelete