Wednesday, December 7, 2011

caspian

Caspian. The craziest, funniest Great Pyr that ever was.
When we brought him home in October 2009, he and Elsie only weighed seven pounds each.

They grew fast.
Caspian - October 2011 - 120+ lbs.

Caspian was always a little...strange.

He'd run circles around the house - fast - three or five times, without barking. Just....because.

He was a licker. Licked everything and everybody he met. Which was not appreciated. Also famous for chewing things.
January 2010 - big snow!

When the puppies were so small we still couldn't let them roam around, we'd keep them shut up in the "barn" under the porch during the day and take them out for walks every few hours. Caspian *hated* his leash, and *never* walked. He sat. And got dragged. Sitting as regally as possible, he would obstinately not walk and allowed us to pull him around bumping on his rear end....he never gave in :) He also took a while to get used to the electric fence...a few zappings and then he was fine :)

There were many times in the past two years that I've looked him in the eye and said, "What am I going to DO with you, Caspian!?!?!" But I loved him.


notice his tongue? (he's the dog to the right)

We all loved him.

Elsie loved him.
January 2010

Lily loved him.
snuggled up - april 2011

He was always frisky and cheerful, ready to play.

He loved to be with us, to follow us around, doing whatever we were doing.

When we came out to feed them or fill up their water, he was always so excited he'd jump up or lick, lick, lick....letting us know how happy he was to see us. More often than not, we'd push him down or say, "Enough, Caspian!", but that didn't bother him. He loved us, too.

He and Elsie would play together all day long, having "fights" where they did their best to look fierce and attack each other. Cool days were the best, 'cause then their fur wasn't too heavy on them. Those were the days when he just ran and ran, galloping across our property barking at whatever moved :)

He chased Lily, the cat. If he caught her, she batted his nose and ran off.

He was a good dog. Crazy, yes, but sweet.

Which is why it's so hard to say goodbye.

When Elsie and Caspian were little (days/weeks old), they and their whole litter had seizures. These stopped once they were weaned. Caspian had one more the day after we brought them home, but none that we knew of since.

Until yesterday.

All day, we watched as our strong, brave puppy experienced seizure after seizure, closer and closer together. For most of them, Dad, Leia, Mama or I was outside with him, holding him, stroking him, letting him know we cared.

The vet didn't know what was wrong. They gave us a sedative for him in case a seizure was too strong or went on too long. Dad gave it to him around 8pm to give him body a chance to rest. Even though he appeared to be sleeping, he was panting - a desperate attempt by his body to cool him off.

We did all we knew we could. When I said good night to him, and saw him lying there in the barn panting, I had a feeling it was goodbye too.

Sometime between 11:30pm last night, and 5:30am this morning, our fluffy "polar bear" passed away. He was just a little over two years old.

I'm bawling like a baby right now...I'm going to miss him sooo much.

It was so hard yesterday. Holding him, and there was nothing I could do. 

This morning, in the pouring rain before breakfast, we buried him under the Cannon - our favorite old tree stump on the hill. We're going to use the white rocks that are all over our property to make a white mound over the spot. Our monument to our dog.

Bye, Caspian-boy. We'll miss you.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caspian
September 12, 2009 - December 7, 2011
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Caspian. We'll be thinking of you all.

    Love,

    Mrs. FTR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry...

    Love the pictures, and WOW he was big (he weighed more than I do)! Such a handsome dog...(was gonna say pretty, but then thought it didn't sound masculine enough)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry! My best friend lost her 7 year old cat last week. I know it's hard. Praying for ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful personality he had. I wish I had known him.

    Love,
    Katy-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jo, I'm sorry!!!! :( I know how it feels to say goodnight to a pet and know it's goodbye, too. I'll be praying for you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so, so sorry, Jo. I was praying for y'all last night; praying that the Lord would heal Caspian if it was His will, and that He would give you and your family peace no matter what happened. I know today's going to be really hard, and I'll continue praying.

    "Blessed are those who morn, for they will be comforted." ~Matthew 5:4

    Love ya, querida. ♥ Sending lots of hugs your way today.

    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I TOTALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH, JO!!!!! It was hard to see my doggie wither away from a tumor the week before my birthday several years ago:(

    Praying that you will be comforted now by the Prince of Peace,


    KEK

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sory for your loss, Jo dear. I have never had a dog, but I know it must be hard to loose one. Caspian must have been a wonderful friends. :)

    {{{hugs}}}
    ~Bree

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry Jo. :( I know what you're going through. Our family dog (of 7 years) was hit by a car and we ended up having to put her down this fall. You never realize how much you love them until they aren't there to look at you with those big brown eyes, or give your hand a lick. :( I'll be praying for you all...
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so sorry, Jo. I've never lost a pet (or had one, either), but I know it hurts. Praying for you, larkin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you, sweetie! This is a beautiful, heartfelt tribute to Caspian.

    I love all the pictures - especially the last one with Zuzu. He was really loved. You're monument sounds beautiful.

    God bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so sad. beautiful post. i'll miss him, too. :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh no!! i'm sorry to hear about Caspian :( I'm glad y'all have good memories of him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sympathy and empathy is with you, dear Jo, as I know exactly how you're feeling. May your family be comforted and soothed.

    <3
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry! I don't even know what to say...But now I'm crying like crazy..

    Much Love,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I am SO SORRY about Caspian. Two years is too short of a time for a dog to live.

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry Jo! He was a gorgeous dog. I will being praying for you guys!

    Love,

    Peyton

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is a *beautiful* dog. alas.. I suppose angel visits can't last forever.

    ReplyDelete