Monday, December 5, 2011

centuries past

I love drama. I love costumes. I love dressing up. As our across-the-street neighbor observed to my mama a little while ago, "Jo really belongs in another century." *sigh* Ain't that the truth? You don't know how often I wish I could wear my "Thanksgiving" dresses as normal wear and people wouldn't say "Oh, is that a costume?" I wish we still dressed out of Pride and Prejudice, or even medieval times. What if men walked around with coats and top hats downtown? Or....hats with feathers?....*cough cough*

I wish we still had balls and parties to look forward to all the time I wish regency/county line dancing was still a normal part of life. It's no fun learning to line or square dance when there's no place to do it. But even more than the dancing and the dresses and the top hats, I wish we still walked with the dignity of those "centuries past."

In centuries past, men behaved like gentlemen. They respected women, opened doors for them, stood until they were seated, rose when they entered the room, put their own desires aside to be of service. Women knew that they would be honored regardless of whether they were pretty or not, and could count a gentlemen for assistance. They knew what qualities men admired, and got their attention by being ladylike and dignified, showing good character or ability....or by dancing well or playing an instrument. :) Oh, polished and refined society.

And now?

Girls wear clothes that do not honor themselves or the Lord, they load their faces with make-up, they walk in a manner that is anything but dignified, they even starve themselves....all in a desperate attempt to attract attention, be someone they are not, or prove something. And some, when they don't succeed to be that all elusive "Something Else", end their lives.

This saddens me beyond what I can say.

I wish there was some way I could sit down with every hurting girl, and tell them that Someone Very Special loves them, and He doesn't care what the world says - He think they are beautiful.

Now, I pray for those girls I *do* know who are struggling with this, and I pray that God will give me more and more opportunities to share my faith with others in the same situation. Considering that I've gone through much of those issues myself, I know how they feel.

Oh, Society. What have you done to us? Why have you lead so many astray to do things that harm themselves and others? Why have you pushed them to the point of no return?

Lord, help us come back. Help us reclaim our dignity as women, and embrace our role in the home and the world. Help us shine Your light in the darkness, bringing others to Yourself. And comfort those who weep and are hurting - captives in their minds to the things of the world. Release them, and show them Your love through us. Amen.

~~~~~

p.s. On a more humorous side, after writing all of the above, I stumbled across this video featurette from the 2005 Pride and Prejudice. And ironically, they almost say the exact same things I said in the paragraph that starts "Men behaved like gentlemen..." Why don't we just junk everything our current society offers, and everyone just go back to life in the 18th century. Our slogan can be "Back to Pride and Prejudice!" :) Join me....please.....*chuckle*



8 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I couldn't agree more. When I meet somebody for the first time I am always resisting the urge to curtsy! I guess I should just give in and see if they return the bob. :-) I'm seriously considering giving etiquette lessons to all my friends, but I'm not sure how it would go over. :-) I'll start by having my brothers rise when ladies enter the room. :-) My brothers are very obliging, but they have their limits...we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound so much like me!!!!! I even go by Jo. :) But this is so totally me, "I wish I could wear my "Thanksgiving" dresses as normal wear and people wouldn't say 'Oh, is that a costume?' I wish we still dressed out of Pride and Prejudice, or even medieval times. What if men walked around with coats and top hats downtown? Or....hats with feathers?"

    ~Johanna "Jo"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree, Jo! I'm always planning dresses to make, but then I realize that I'd never be able to wear them anywhere. :P

    It is so sad what our society has done to young women.

    I'll join the "Back to Pride and Prejudice" movement wholeheartedly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I wish there was some way I could sit down with every hurting girl, and tell them that Someone Very Special loves them, and He doesn't care what the world says - He think they are beautiful.

    Now, I pray for those girls I *do* know who are struggling with this, and I pray that God will give me more and more opportunities to share my faith with others in the same situation. Considering that I've gone through much of those issues myself, I know how they feel." My dear I feel the same way! On my Facebook account the other day I lamanted (sp?) the dignity we as men and women had lost and how much I wished men still tipped theur hats. And last night I was chatting to a dear friend o Facebook using a combination of shakespearian and austen language. I am taking Joanna's suggestion , I shall bob the next time I am introduced to somone new. :D Lovely post Jo!
    ~
    Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jo, I absolutely loved this post! And I agreed with every word of it. My heart goes out to girls of this century who think they need to dress and act in an alluring manner in order to receive love and affection. Our whole society constantly shouts that we are free to do whatever we want, the chains have been severed, the ropes cut. But we seem more enslaved now than ever when you see girls starving themselves and painting their faces, all so they will feel loved. Years ago, women knew their worth and they knew their place, as did the men. It was thought strange or odd if a lady would be so bold as to approach a man and shake his hand.

    Anyway, I'm starting to ramble now. :) I would add more, but you pretty much said it all in the post. Wonderful, wonderful job.

    Love ya,
    Elizabeth Rose

    P.S. I loved the video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely and whole-heartedly agree. In fact, my friends and I are trying to become more like the Pride and Prejudice ladies of old. We're even having a Regency ball on Thursday in an attempt to show guys that dancing is perfectly acceptable. And...oh...your image of a tailcoated and top-hatted man walking downtown is about more than I can stand. Let's reform this world! :)

    Larkin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. You know, I kind of agree. It would be nice if society were a bit more like old times (not that I'm perfectly familiar with how it all was). Though I can't imagine playing soccer after church and still adhering to the standard dress code of those times. 'Twould not work out.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back to Pride and Prejudice!!! (you know, I REALLY need to watch that movie)

    I am SO jealous of those actors that got to dance like that...and dress up...and do their hair so beautifully...
    I really wish I could dress like that every day.

    ReplyDelete