Wednesday, December 21, 2011

white christmas

warning: this is a rave review. i love this movie - a deep heartfelt love. it makes me sniffle and sigh and look forward to the day when i have my very own knight on a white horse. i've seen it twice this month already, and most likely will watch it twice more. love, love, love. xoxoxo. <3 <3 <3.

two war buddies - Wallace and Davis. two sisters - Betty and Judy.

Due to an "angle" of Judy's, the guys come to see the girls preform:

Judy and Davis get along fantastic right from the start - and they're entire goal for the rest of the movie is to get Betty and Bob together...and don't even notice their own relationship :)
beautiful dance numbers throughout!

Unfortunately, the girls are in trouble with the police, so the guys help them out by sneaking them out the window and then stalling the officer by doing the girls act for them:
oohhhh it was funny :P "Sisters, sisters...."

The two acts end up in Vermont together over Christmas and start rehearsing a big show for Christmas Eve. Meanwhile, the two romances are going along just fine splendidly 
this scene is beyond adorable :)


...but then, the house keeper overhears a telephone conversation and tells it to Betty, and it puts Bob in a very bad light. She leaves the inn without telling anyone to start a career of her own in New York.

the male dancer in this picture is George Chakiris - 
most famous for his role as Bernardo in the film West Side Story

But her knight comes after her, and even thought it takes a while, it all turns out lovely in the end.

 Of course, I didn't give you a very good plot description, but that's because the plot itself is a little hard to explain. You just have to enjoy it :)

There's lots of dancing and musical numbers...

....some better than others for sure. *wink*

Oh, it's hard to tell you why I love this movie so much. I love Bob and Betty - a very realistic relationship. I love the knight on the white stallion analogy they use - my favorite one of all the "boy-girl" pictures. I love the shenanigans of Phil and Judy as they try to bring their two favorite people together. I love the friendships. I love the music. I love the dancing. I love Bing Crosby's voice :) I just love everything.

note: Titty (who loves this movie too - see a trend here?) observed that in many of the dance sequences the female dancers are pretty much wearing bathing suits with feathers. *snorty laugh* *coughing* Okay. Moving on. the warning: I know this sounds strange, but I've noticed that that doesn't seem to bother girls as much as it does guys. But since I know for a fact that Scraps has picked up at least three male readers in the past six months, I thought it only just and fair to warn you. Oh, you're welcome. I love you too :)

White Christmas (1951):
strength of characters: *****
strength of plot: **
overall: ************************************************** (that's 50. count!)


 "and may all your Christmases be white...."

not the best quality, but love it for my sake :P

6 comments:

  1. Every time we watch that movie, we come away from it singing "Sisters", and can't get it out of our heads for days. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this movie, too! I adore all the witty quotes, especially "When what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left." Oh my, you gotta love Phil, right? He and Judy are a hoot; always plotting and planning to get Bob and Betty together. And of course, the scene at the end with General Waverly makes me tear up . . . :) White Christmas is just such a sweet, funny, memorable movie. Loved your review. :)

    Love ya,
    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. December wouldn't be December without White Christmas. :0) Great description of the dance costumes. :P I really do love the (non-swimming-suit) costumes, though. Especially Judy's flary black-and-white skirt. You know the one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love love love love love love love love love love love love LOVE this movie! It's one of those ones I was raised on and have seen hundreds, thousands, millions, billions of times :D Basically, we all have all the songs and the script memorized word for word. Ha! KK and I have acted out "Sisters" more times then I can count and there are so many holiday memories attached to White Christmas. That said, I can not believe you were SEVENTEEN before seeing it for the first time!!! So glad you love it! :D

    Love ya,
    Nan

    p.s. glad to see you are expanding your Christmas movie repertoire ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this movie. It's a Christmas favorite and you just reminded me that we have not watched it yet this month (hmmm.... movie night coming soon). Of course, Heidi and I sing Sisters to eachother a lot after watching it. Such fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I LOVE this movie! Probably my favorite Christmas movie of all time - tied with it's A Wonderful Life. :)

    Love,
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete