Wednesday, January 25, 2012

plans

When you're young, you have plans. Don't pretend you don't - everyone does.

Plans about what you're going to do with your *whole life*. Plans about where you're going to continue your eduction. Plans about where you're going to live, what career you're going to go into, even who you're going to marry.
Pinned Image
[picture via pintrest]

But there are other plans that aren't so...big. Like which of the two Friday night parties you're going to go to, what day to go see that new movie, what day you're going to finish school for the year, how you're going to spend the summer, which Sunday School class to attend this quarter, whether you should work nursery or not, what jobs you want to apply for.

There are even rather silly-ish plans that girls in particular seem to enjoy: planning that dream house, where to go on your honeymoon, what your wedding will be like...even though you're not even remotely close to getting married. :)
Pinned Image
[picture via pintrest]

Life is full of plans and decisions. Some are small and can be as simple to set up as "eeny meeny miney mo"...others loom so large we just curl up in a ball and pretend they don't exist.

Sometimes *other* people have plans for us. And they are annoying, si? There are times, yes, when we are happy for their *suggestions*, but we don't want them to plan what we do next. Come on, it's OUR LIFE.

But it really isn't, you know. I mean, it's not our life. It's God's life. He MADE us. And He has a very specific plan for each person's special life.
Pinned Image
[picture via pintrest]

So instead of stressing about what's next, or forcing your way through hurdles on your own, ask Him a very simple question:
"What do You want me to do next?"

He will always answer. It may not be exactly what *we* were planning...but it is always the best way.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Even though I'm still really young, I tend to plan wayyyyyyy ahead, and then I need to be reminded that God is in control, not me. He has a perfect plan, and perhaps my dreams will be a part it...perhaps not. Either way, following His lead will always be the best for my life. =)

    His Princess,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, i couldn't agree more, Jo. Thank you for sharing!

    Joy @ joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great reminder, Jo. :) I really can relate to this subject...but you're totally right, that it's much more simple and sweet when the first thing you do is to ask the Lord!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right on, Jo. It's like the saying, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans." :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, "Jo":
    "A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps." - Prov 16:9
    I think I'd like to make God laugh, but that means I can't take my plans too seriously, either.

    - Savannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an excellent post! Thank you for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right, Jo. I was confused with what to do with my life for many, many months. One night, alone in bed, I prayed and asked God to decide. I felt so relieved, and that night, (much to my surprise) in a dream God told me what He wanted me to do...and I've been doing my very best to live the life He asked me to live.

    ReplyDelete