Tuesday, February 7, 2012

{one} - shirley love.

It *is* almost Valentine's Day...one week till, so it makes sense to do a week of love-stuff posts. Don't worry, I won't bore you or make you groan. This more of a series of posts about my favorite things. And *that* can always get interesting. Or weird. And the point of this series is to show you hidden (or not so hidden) love/likes/favorites of mine. Just so you get to know me a little better. And that's always nice, right? Actually, don't answer that. Anyway.
In a nutshell: several posts between now and Valentine's Day about things that make me smile.


{Shirley Temple}

I do not remember a day when I did not love Shirley Temple. I have watched Bright Eyes at my grandma's house more times that I can count. Marie would dress up and sing "Good Ship Lollipop" around the house ALL DAY LONG when she was like two. My earliest Shirley memories are of Little Miss Broadway. The Little Colonel has been a family favorite forever. And last year, because I wanted to, I made a list of all the Little Shirley movies I had not seen yet and made it a point to watch as many as I could. Heidi, Curly Top, Dimples, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, The Little Princess, The Littlest Rebel and a new favorite: Stowaway. Yes, I've seen probably around twelve or thirteen little Shirley films...and there are around twenty more. :)

Shirley TempleShirley Temple

Oh, that little girl makes me smile. Yes, some of her movies (actually...most) have a very predictable plot. Some don't even end very well, sort of abrupt, leaving a few ends dangling. Some of the songs are downright annoying. But I love it all. Every sappy, boring, black-and-white minute of them. :)

Below I've highlighted my favorites - the ones that strike a special chord deep down inside of who I am.
.....................................................................
Bright Eyes [1934]
This is my favorite of all of them. Just watching the song below fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling and memories of my grandparents' old farm and their cozy den and hot chocolate and the red leather sofa and the blue rug and everything that my early childhood was made of. I actually have a lump in my throat just thinking about it. Darn it, now I'm crying. *wiping eyes*


.....................................................................
The Little Colonel [1934]
A darling story of my dear South. Even if Shirley is the little Yankee :) Anything with Shirley, Lionel Barrymore AND Bojangles Robinson is gonna be good.
The Little Colonel
And I love, love, love the grouchy old Southern grandfather :D




.....................................................................
The Littlest Rebel [1935]
the littlest rebel
And here's my girl being a Dixie girl - my brothers love this movie, even though we all agreed it was a little unrealistic. And I didn't appreciate the stereo-types so much. For the little ones, though, they only had one real problem. The thought of climbing in Abraham Lincoln's lap was a little disconcerting to them - good little Southerners! :P


"...but I like chicken 'cause I'm from the South, singin' Polly Wolly Doodle all the day!"
.....................................................................
Stowaway [1936]
With a little more complex story line, this one that Leia, Julia and I watched together one night at Grandma's and had quite a jolly time. The whole idea of getting married just to adopt a girl and then plan on getting divorced as soon as you get home is quite a riot. Especially when the couple's in love and pretends not to be. Oh, this is a keeper! :D


.....................................................................
Little Miss Broadway [1938]
shirley in "little miss broadway." she wears the cutest outfits in this film! i kind of want to wear them myself. ;)
I've been watching this one for years and years and years. It's got one of the best casts of any of the Shirley films, and some of the best songs.The finale is....pretty classic, but fun. Lots of dancing, a sweet little love story, and Jimmy Durante :D

.....................................................................
What are your favorite Shirley movies? Or, better yet, what are some childhood memories that are so much part of you that they make you cry? :)

3 comments:

  1. My favorites are the goodship,and stowaway!! I LOVE Shirley Temple.
    Did you know for every movie Shirley Temple's mother would do her hair cause there had to be exactly 52 curls.

    Which one is where as a baby shes let to these people who are in the show biz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Shirley Temple...in moderation :) I can not watch more the one in a row without my head exploding. But I do have great memories tied up in them. Watching Little Princess with Mom while Pa was out of town, watching Curly Top for the first time when I was sick, watching Little Miss Broadway countless times the first time we stayed in Tybee (it was the year I threw my knee out so couldn't really do anything else) and watching Bright Eyes with my old babysitter. Yeah, good memories with Shirley Temple.

    Although, I have to say, a Shirley Temple is a dangerous place for a parent to be as they will most likely end up dead. I'm sure the scrip writers had something against biological parents. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only watched one film for Shirley Temple, Heidi and even though the film didn't follow the book well at all, and had some queer parts when Grandfather was arrested and Fraulein Rotenmier (I know I spelled that wrong) was being so WICKED, but I just LOVED Shirley acting Heidi... she was so cute and lovely!!

    Those pictures look so much fun!
    ~Joy @ joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete