Monday, April 23, 2012

love is not love

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments.
Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

 
- sonnet 116 - william shakespeare - 
- emphasis mine -

4 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet poem! I heard of a couple who had this read at their wedding. *melts* ;) Shakespeare (entirely unnecessary to point it out) had an amazing way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a major I-am-Marriane-Dashwood moment. That is such a lovely sonnet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never read this sonnet without thinking of Sense and Sensibility. :) I have most of it (read: the part recited about 5 times in the movie) memorized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lillian and I just (re)watched S&S. It is such a good movie. But I'm so glad you posted the poem, because I couldn't make out most of it in the movie. It's so good! I must read more Shakespeare. I think the poem gives a lot of insight into Marianne's character, making her look less flighty and impulsive and more like her feelings really are as deep and faithful as Eleanor's. I tend to sympathize and admire Marianne more anyway - ever since I realized I am much more like her.

    The Fourteenth-Assistant Kitchen Maid

    ReplyDelete