Monday, June 17, 2013

Thor

While we were at the beach, my family finally got around to watch Captain America with me. (the past 3 times they had watched it was when I was at play practice -_-) I really enjoyed it, and wanted to see other Avengers movies. Well, last night we watched Thor. Since Captain America was the only other Avenger I've watched, Thor had a high bar to live up to. And it did.......in some ways. 



Catherine's Thor Review



Pros:
  • Great Redemptive Story
  • Not much lovey-dovey stuff
  • Great actors
  • Stunning visually
  • Good story line

Bit-by-Bit:
Great Redemptive Story. When it started I thought "this is going to be a long movie. Thor really got on my nerves, and I wanted to slap him. At the end (trying not to give too much away) his talk with his dad really touched me, and made me decide that, hey, I like this movie.

Not much lovey-dovey stuff. I'm not usually the one that dances in front of the screen when people kiss, but it does get on my nerve.....a whole lot. Captain America drove me nuts on that pathway, but Thor only has one nice long one. 'nough said. Other than that, pretty good.


Great actors. Loki was incredibly convincing as the caniaving and jealous younger brother. Thor was great at showing the uncontrollable anger, and the distraught older brother. Jane.....well, she was good, and I didn't really like the character all that much anyway. 


Jane Foster: How'd you get inside that cloud?
Darcy: Also, how could you eat an entire box of Pop-Tarts and still be this hungry? 
Jane's little sidekick/best friend person = awesome.

Thor: [walking into a pet shop] I need a horse!
Pet Store Clerk: We don't have horses. Just dogs, cats, birds.
Thor: Then give me one of those big enough to ride.

Stunning visually. The camera angles were wonderful, and the difference between Thor's kingdom and the frost giants was distinct.





Good story line. Coulda been better, coulda been a whole lot worse. Overall, I liked it. 

Cons:
  • Creepy
  • Very magical
  • disobedience
  • Too much alcahhol

Bit-by-Bit:
Creepy. I wasn't half as creped out as my 12-year-old sister, but it got on my nerves. Those frost giants.....*shivers* Anything that happened in the frost world was so dark that you couldn't see what was on the screen. Probably a good thing. It was a pro and a con, they established that the frost giants were the bad guys, no doubt about it. But for the sake of younger folks, unless you don't have nightmares about things you've watched, DON'T WATCH IT. (I don't btw)

Very magical.  The whole idea about other gods.....not really me, but I more put it on the scale with Star Trek (random people on planets) and I got along fine. I felt there was too much magic to make it even realistic (Captain America had that blue stuff, but that was the only thing) with the bridge, and the frost giants freezing people....etc. Thor's hammer was incredible though.



Thor: Once I retrieve Mjolnir [his hammer], I will return to you the items they stole from you. Deal?
Jane: No. You think you're gonna just walk in and walk out?
Thor: No. I'm gonna fly out.


Disobedience. I'm glad it was portrayed as a bad thing. Too many movies show disobedience as a good thing, and this was not one of them. I'm glad at the end he realized what he had done was wrong. 

Too much alcohol. Yup. There was. I'm not very picky about it, and I've watched worse, but it felt like it didn't really belong in that kind of movie.....so yeah.

There you go. I'm not very good with putting words down, but hopefully you got an idea of what I thought of it. Overall, I loved it. I had my problems with it, but it lived up to my expectations for a son-of-a-god-who-has-a-magical-hammer-and-a-jealous-younger-brother. To sum up, I like it, it's creepy, it's great, and it’s weird.









Thor: [taking coffee for the first time] This drink.....I like it!
Darcy: I know, it's great right? 
Thor: ANOTHER!
Thor: [throws the mug on the floor and shatters it]
Jane Foster: [to the lady behind the counter] Sorry, Izzie, little accident...
Jane: [to Thor] What was that?
Thor: It was delicious! I want antoher!
Jane: You could have just said so!
Thor: I just did!
Jane: I mean ask nicely!
Thor: I meant no disrespect.
Jane: Alright, no more smashing. Deal?
Thor: You have my word.  

5 out of 5 stars.

Which avenger comes next?

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment